4H27K546187 Comet Cyclone

• Here's a nice looking 1964 Comet Cyclone that <b>SOLD</b> for a hefty $19,500. Although there is a K code in the VIN, it doesn't actually denote the 289 HiPo. For some reason, Mercury used the K code in 1964 to designate a <i>low compresssion</i> 4 bbl 289 that used regular fuel. This is the <i>same</i> engine Mustang used in the short-lived "D" code option. Judging by the high dollars bid on this car, the bidders probably believed this car is a real 289 HiPo. Unfortunately, these "LoPo" K code Mercs have been confusing car collectors for many years...

<center>

eBay link</center>

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 03/13/2006 00:20:28

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Just saw one of those at a car show last September, Bright Red. I like this color better.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I agree...These Comets look their best in black or white. I prefer the '65 body over the '64, although both years use the same glass, doors, and "fastback" roofline that originated on the '63 Falcon coupe.

The Comet Cyclone model was introduced mid-year 1964, building on the S-22 model from 1963. Cyclones are of interest here because a scant few were built in 1964 and '65 with the 289 HiPo package. These are without a doubt the rarest of the 3 car models built by Ford with the 271 hp V-8, with Fairlanes and Mustangs accounting for an overwhelming majority of all HiPo production.

Cyclones have some interesting, sporty, standard features including: bucket seats, console, woodgrain 3 spoke wheel, a unique interior, and polished stainless wheel covers that simulate chrome reversed wheels. A single checkered flag emblem that was first used on the full-sized Mercury Maurader identifies a Cyclone on the side fender. A small, dash-mounted tachometer was standard, along with a 4bbl V-8 that used regular fuel. The 289 HiPo was available by special order only, and was not an RPO. Consequently, very few were built, and a K code in the VIN does not mean it is a factory HiPo. The '64-65 Comets didn't come with dual exhausts, but the Cyclones had a special low restriction muffler that gave them a distinct sound.

The "A" code, premium fuel 289 was standard on the 1965 Cyclones, with a choice of automatic or 4 speed transmissions. The HiPo was still available by dealer special order only, and these cars are quite rare. It's likely that less than 100 were built, and they are hard to authenticate without a build sheet, because they don't have the "K" in their VIN. Some '65 HiPo Comet VINs have an "A" code, and some have a <i>blank</i> space in the 5th position of the VIN.

All HiPo Comets have 9" rear axles, along with a heavy duty export brace, and stiffer suspension. The presence of an original export brace is an easy way to tell if a Comet is a genuine HiPo. Some had an optional transistorized ignition.

As with most Mercury's, generally the values are not quite as high as their cousins from the Ford division, especially Mustangs. The sale of a '64 Cyclone that's not really a HiPo for over $19,000 is unusual, and probably represents another eBay anomoly.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have 2 original unrestored HiPo Comets, and one has an export brace, and the other doesn't.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

What model year(s) do you have? Do they both have a six digit DSO code? What assembly plant(s) built your Comets? I've seen only four authentic HiPo Cyclones "in person". They all had factory export braces, and they were 1965 models...

• I have one 64 and one 65 both unrestored originals. They both have extended dso numbers, the 65 is from new jersey and the 64 was built in california. The 65 has the bolt in brace and the 64 doesnt. I have all the docuumentation on the 65, it deleted the transistorized ignition, and was shipped with a scatter shield and fiberglass dash(like th fx cars) not installed. The 64 has no documentation, other than a piece of the original build sheet and you can see part of the instructions typed out long hand on the bottom as they did on the hipo comets. the 64 doesnt have the brace or the scattershield, but it does have the alternator(up high) transistorized ignition, 9 inch with snubber shroud, toploader, hipo 289 with vin code stamped like the mustangs, bigger springs, and larger diameter driveshaft. One of the most telling signs of the 64 that its the real deal, is the single point hipo transistorized distributer used only on the 64 hipo comets. It looks just like a regular early hipo dist with external oiler, but is has 64 comet numbers stamped in it and since the ignition was transistorized it only used one set of points.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!