Corrected: Wanted 4HB Dated C5OF-E Distributor

• I mostly dismantled the engine out of CSX2551 this morning. This is the engine with Shelby number 00026. Some details are

Block

C4OE-6015F cast 4F4 with 4H25B stamped on oil pan rail and nothing stamped in front of left cylinder head. There is a pressed in plug in the forward lifter valley wall passage towards the timing cover oil fill location of early engines. (I don’t know if the block decks were milled but the heads on the engine were.)

Harmonic Balancer

C3OE B hub with outer ring dated G4

Timing Cover

C4OE-6059A 64 eight raised dots (no boss on cover where earlier engines had an oil fill)

Comparing blocks numbered 00004 and 00026 this morning they share these features

1 – The pan rails of both are stamped 4H25B.

2 – Neither block has an assembly date showing (could have been milled off) in front of the left cylinder head.

3 – Both blocks have a pressed in plug in the forward right hand corner of the lifter valley.

4 – BOTH BLOCKS ARE REPAIRED! Under the accumulated crud I found that both blocks had been repaired at some time in their past. 0004 had the right front tooling boss broken off and welded back on with some type bright colored alloy. 00026 had some type defect at the oil pressure sender extension boss that was welded up with some type bright alloy.

• Official Post

Dan, I have a limited supply of Hipo distributors to check for date codes. I do have a FoMoCo 6AA so the that dating system did last at least until then. I do not have any standard distributors to check to see if the dating system changed past that date but there are plenty of them around that other people might have to check.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

2 – Neither block has an assembly date showing (could have been milled off) in front of the left cylinder head.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

"The original/stock 289 deck height(cylinder head mounting surface to center line of crankshaft) is 8.206 +/-0.005"

Are you going to measure the deck height?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

"The original/stock 289 deck height(cylinder head mounting surface to center line of crankshaft) is 8.206 +/-0.005"

Are you going to measure the deck height?

I could make a rough measurement but it will be best to get whatever shop that cleans, inspects, and measures everything to do so.

Dan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!