The effect of color changes on value?

• Hi there:

I've always been an FE guy, but lately I've been giving some serious thought towards buying a K code car instead.

My question is this. I've always been partial to the 67-68 fastbacks. I still kick myself for selling my 67 S code back in the 80's, and I now see what they are going for.

Anyway, for the last several months I have seen a black on red 67 hipo fast back being advertised. The price seems reasonable enough but for some reason the car hasn't sold. As far as photo's are concerned the car is gorgeous, but I'm on the west coast, and it is on the east coast.

I know that I could probably hire someone over there to take an objective look at it. However, my concern, aside from any possible defects it might have is the fact that during restoration the car was given a complete color change of both exterior, and interior.

Before, I decide to invest in an evaluation by a third party, how much will this deviation from originality possibly effect the value of this car?

Thanks for your input.

Cliff Harmon

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>Any change of the interior or the exterior color is a highly subjective thing to pin down. In the Mustang world I think a small percentage of folks would see it as sacrilege while for the majority it's just a ho/hum kind of thing. It certainly is done frequently. In contrast in the Corvette world, there seems to be far less tolerence for any alteration(s) from production correct.

This is stating the obvious, but in the example you mention perhaps worksmanship, accident damage, corrosion, correctness/originality/completness of mechanical components e.g. engine (especially if a big block), and drive line etc. are things to consider if future market value is the prime driver for the purchase. Body condition would warrant a critical look-see for a car sourced from the east coast.

I think most would agree that even excellent plain vanilla Stangs can be expected to hold their value and even appreciate as the years pass. More so for everything else. So if enjoyment is the goal I for one would go for a car that has only suffered a paint and or interior change. Both are relatively easy albiet not cheap to reverse, while missing/wrong mechanical components could end up being financially staggering to correct.

My 2c.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p4f8ee1bd214d6f407a7e7df72a842ee9/f5253efc.jpg]

• Hi,

For my two cents worth. I believe in keeping as original as possible. I've had my 65 k coupe for approx 2 years and am always on the look out for those bits that will make it more original. I would never, for example replace my standard upholstery for pony interior, or install a/cond or pwr steer as I believe these would devalue the car. Having said that, the car was originally vintage burgundy and is currently poppy red. In the near future I intend re-painting the car and am seriously contemplating poppy red again as I like this colour more than vintage burgundy. I don't think this will devalue the car as poppy red was a period colour. It certainly didn't deter me from buying the car.

Cheers, Tony

• I'm with Tony. Some of the colors offered were repugnant to me, and there are so few cars that you might not ever get a shot at your color. The car's the thing, and in the end, colors can be brought back, but THE KAR, THE KAR is the thing. Take an unpopular color, put it right for you, and enjoy it. you will find more buyers for the popular colors than those looking for a correct but ' ugly' color and might pass on yours. Restomoding ain't in it. The good stuff is in there where it counts, and YOUR color is YOUR bonus.

There, I said it. my 2 cents.

• When I started my K search I wanted a '65 Rangoon red convertible. I've had Poppy Red, Prairie Bronze, Raven Black and Wimbledon White, but never Rangoon Red. Because of quality, price or availability, I never found the right car in red.

The Wimbledon white convertible(original data plate) I bought in 2005 fit my budget and met my expectations, except for the color. I still would like to own a Rangoon red convertible, and even thought about a color change for mine. But because of my car's history, I would hate to do that to the car and any future owners just to please my personal taste. Maybe there's a trade in my future.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!