SeKond Time Around

• Way back in 1979, we drove this car to Atlanta for the MCA Grand Nationals. After winning the 65 Fastback class, it was an enjoyable ride home and a few more years of showing. Eventually the restoration aged and the standards became higher, so the car was 'retired' to limited local show and cruise night driving. It has sat for several years and now it's time to re-restore it to current standards. Fortunately it is very solid and most everything is correct original stuff that I rounded up the hard way since there was a very small repro market back then. In the process of disassembly, I uncovered these markings on the core support. I know about the rotation number, the paint code and trim code. What does the circled 'BL' mean?

[Blocked Image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii59/ajd350/DSC_0015-1.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii59/ajd350/DSC_0012.jpg]

• BL typically calls out "Backup Lights" when written there on a '65.

Sounds like you're going to have your hands full for a while! There's lots of resources available, much more than the late 70's! What color is the interior of your car?

• Charles, the car was built as a 63A trim 26 car. When I bought it in 1977 it had been partially converted to a white deluxe interior. I finished it out that way as it seemed like a good idea at the time. Since there is no good way to undo the courtesy light holes in the nice original doors, I have elected to keep this configuration although it is incorrect. If I get killed on points, I'll still be satisfied. There are no other deviations that I am aware of. This week I took the fenders off to find the factory sealer still present, although quite brittle. There are also pieces of cloth tape where the fenders contact the cowl near the windshield. The only sheetmetal that has been replaced on the car is the hood.

• If you think you'd like to put the car back to original std. interior, I would recommend to find a car close in production from the same assembly plant with good original doors. Probably be a needle in a haystack, but something to consider. Same with the hood.

• Do they really pay that close of attention to the date code on doors and hoods? Just asking, because this seems almost too excessive? I know nothing about judging a car or anything like that, so I am speaking from ignorance.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Do they really pay that close of attention to the date code on doors and hoods? Just asking, because this seems almost too excessive? I know nothing about judging a car or anything like that, so I am speaking from ignorance.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

It's not simply a matter of date codes. Fit and finish play a big part in choosing the best parts. I've found that cars with all the factory-installed sheet metal to be some of the best, well fitting cars out there. I don't buy the "Ford threw them together" mentality. While I'm sure there were some cars that had fit problems from the factory, for the most part, I think Ford did a pretty good job. For those that have seen cars with factory sheet metal, you know what I'm talking about.

• I second that. I have heard way too many people use the excuse that 'they weren't put together well when they were new' when showing a mediocre-fitting car. True, the tolerances were not as tight as today's cars, but they were not just slapped together. The above car had VERY good fit and other than the hood, had never been apart or wrecked.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

.......... I uncovered these markings on the core support. I know about the rotation number, the paint code and trim code. What does the circled 'BL' mean? ....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

First question would be - Where and when was the car built since markings (same ones at times) and their meanings differed between plants and even month to month according to plant managers

Bases on what you mentioned so far I'm guessing Dearborn?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Do they really pay that close of attention to the date code on doors and hoods? Just asking, because this seems almost too excessive? I know nothing about judging a car or anything like that, so I am speaking from ignorance.

It's not simply a matter of date codes. Fit and finish play a big part in choosing the best parts. I've found that cars with all the factory-installed sheet metal to be some of the best, well fitting cars out there. I don't buy the "Ford threw them together" mentality. While I'm sure there were some cars that had fit problems from the factory, for the most part, I think Ford did a pretty good job. For those that have seen cars with factory sheet metal, you know what I'm talking about.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Well said Charles!! Thank You!!!!

I second that. I have heard way too many people use the excuse that 'they weren't put together well when they were new' when showing a mediocre-fitting car. True, the tolerances were not as tight as today's cars, but they were not just slapped together. The above car had VERY good fit and other than the hood, had never been apart or wrecked.

AMEN as well!!! Thank You!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!