K code fastback GT?

• Hello all! New to site and already have a question. I own a 1966 fastback k code numbers matching car that is being restored. The car is in very good condition with no rot! I was wondering how I can find out if my car is a GT or not. Everything I've read tells me it is but the buck tag. All is correct with options, dates, and factory signs of fabrication and operation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Roger

• If it's a Metuchen-built car and the buck tag does not have 'PIO' then chances are unlikely that it was a GT. Have you found a build sheet? The GT option is also called out on the build sheet.

Otherwise, there are only a couple things to look for on a '66 K code, which would be the disc brake installation and fog lights.

• I have not found a build sheet. I am the third owner of the car and the previous owner bought it in 1978 and said it has not been altered from factory. It has factory disc brakes, fog lights, badges, stripes etc. Will look tonight for build sheet. Thanks, Roger

• OK, First of all, no build sheet! My car has all the requirements listed on Karmustang.com but still my question remains. Correct me if I am wrong but the k code comes factory with the same options as the GT (bigger sway bar, dual exhaust reinforcements, front disc brakes, etc.)so the only difference would be the appearance package? Thanks, Roger

• Disc brakes on a 65-66 K code were optional equipment. As I mentioned before, with a K code, you have a few things to check for it being a real GT (and really these do not prove but rather the absence can disprove).

For a '66 K code, things to check:

-Disc brake install (prop valve in right location with locater tab hole punched through.

-Fog light install, proper hole or holes in radiator support with correct wiring and switch hole in proper location

-Fenders with proper letter and badge holes, assuming they are original. It's a bolt-on part, so could easily be changed, but if dates are consistent with car, would hope they are original.

-Rocker panels with no holes for rocker moldings (all NON-GT fastbacks should have had rocker moldings)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!