New Member - Car Details 66 GT K 4spd FSTBK

• Car has buck Tag and has Nevada Title from about 10 years back claiming 72,000 actual miles, car has about 77,000 now.

I am wondering, my k-code engine seems to fall flat like any other 289 at around 5000 rpm... do any of you actually rev your k-codes and if so, do they pull hard to 8000 rpm?

The Engine has all the correct internals, and is running headers, and a holley carb... I would guess its running out of fuel, or air, or spark ( timing )...

I guess getting a look at the plugs ( color/condition )

Bench testing Distributor for advance

Check fuel pressure for major drop off...

And carburator operation, would be good first steps...

Any other ideas would be appreciated, I dont often drive it hard, but I would like to take it to the nostalgic drags once or twice a year.

Stephan M. Mackenzie

Maple Ridge, BC

Warranty Number: 6T09K107104

Year: 6 1966

Plant: T Metuchen, NJ

Body Series: 09 2+2 Fastback

Engine: K 289 4v V8 HiPo

Unit: 107104 107104

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 63A 2+2 Fastback, Standard Interior

Color: M Wimbledon White

Trim: 25 Red Crinkle Vinyl and Red Rosette Vinyl, Standard Interior

Date: 13J September 13, 1965

D.S.O: 11 Boston

Axle: 5 3.50:1, Conventional

Trans: 5 4-Speed Manual

• Hello and welcome...

I rev my car frequently, and it pulls hard through 6000+ RPMs with no falling flat until around 7200 or so. My engine is all stock and has never been rebuilt, with around 90,000 original miles.

If your engine is loosing power at 5000 RPMs, something is probably wrong. The ideas you listed seem like a good place to start. Good luck, and keep us posted with any developments.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!