• Greetings! New here, not new to mustangs, however this is my first K code. I am in the hills above the Sacramento, CA area. I hope to learn a lot here and also get guidance as things pop up for preserving the originality of the car. My goal is to maintain it as a time capsule from 1965 (well, she was born Dec. 21 in '64 technically)... Its a very original car. My life goal/passion is to keep it that way. Thanks for havin me!

• Welcome to the site Mad-goat67

Your vin. stamped block indicates you Kar was built in Dearborn, however your radiator is Western Modine Y2, 11-64 these radiators were put in San Jose Kars, possibly early GT350’s if that’s correct this piece is rare an very valuable.

Relicdog

• relicdog, Thank you for that info! So funny you specifically bring that up. I have been relying heavily on the Tony Gregory and Bob Mannel books respectively as I go through the ole girl to further verify details and originality of my Kar parts, but I did not see radiators and their casting covered in either book. So I started a list of things I would have to scour the internet and blog scene for, then of course try to figure out what was fact from fiction with that method. So I guess I am in the right place by joining the crew here!

All the VIN's match on the car. I am in contact with the two previous owners and have "some" paperwork dating back to 1981 including titles with true mileage statements, reciepts, etc. I know she got a repaint of original rangoon red in 2017 and a lot of the original parts were restored at that time. I also know a few parts were described as "not salvageable" per the owner in 2017, but were replaced with what he stated as "era correct" original components. I have gone through the car 90% for what I didnt have to unbolt, and about 25% of what I do have to take apart to verify. I say verify, but its also like 50% curiosity and mystery. Love it! After I go through her to my satisfaction, I will start the quest of finding anything prior to 1981...

• Mad_goat67,

my pointing out your radiator was not meant to pick or discriminate against your Kar, that’s not my style,

I was just pointing out it may be a very sought after piece. Fred the administrator on this site is the knowledgeable one for parts on our Kars, hopefully he will touch on this subject.

Relicdog

• relicdog, Thank you for that info! So funny you specifically bring that up. I have been relying heavily on the Tony Gregory and Bob Mannel books respectively as I go through the ole girl to further verify details and originality of my Kar parts, but I did not see radiators and their casting covered in either book. So I started a list of things I would have to scour the internet and blog scene for, then of course try to figure out what was fact from fiction with that method. So I guess I am in the right place by joining the crew here!

All the VIN's match on the car. I am in contact with the two previous owners and have "some" paperwork dating back to 1981 including titles with true mileage statements, reciepts, etc. I know she got a repaint of original rangoon red in 2017 and a lot of the original parts were restored at that time. I also know a few parts were described as "not salvageable" per the owner in 2017, but were replaced with what he stated as "era correct" original components. I have gone through the car 90% for what I didnt have to unbolt, and about 25% of what I do have to take apart to verify. I say verify, but its also like 50% curiosity and mystery. Love it! After I go through her to my satisfaction, I will start the quest of finding anything prior to 1981...

Welcome aboard the site. You will find a lot of friendly and helpful people on here.

Relicdog made note of the radiator before I saw this thread. When I started reading this thread and saw your pictures, the radiator just stuck out to me as well. Relic dog saved me the trouble of making what would have been an almost identical post. And as Relicdog stated, we are not trying to pick your Kar apart, just letting you know what you have. The Dearborn and Metucheon radiators have the ID stampings on the side mounting strap. Yes, it is a San Jose radiator and desireable for our Kars but the Shelbys used the G2 version. The G2 version is supposed to be extra cooling. However both radiators are the same size and the same number of fins per inch, so I have not been able to determine what makes the G2 supposedly better than the Y2. The main thing about the Y2 and G2 is that they are manual transmission radiators and therefore do not have the transmission cooler (heat exchanger) as part of the radiator. All service replacement radiators have the cooler (heat exchanger) so that the radiators can be used for both manual and automatic transmissions. The lack of the cooler (heat exchanger) helps to verify originality for manual transmission cars.

You can search this site and find a lot of answers to your future questions as a number of knowledgeable people are on this site.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks Fred! I didn't feel like anyone was picking the Kar apart. Thats why I am here. To learn stuff that I can't figure out on my own!

So where does one find a reference source to things like casting code info for radiators like this? (other than here of course haha)... I started a small running list of things with the kar that I cant seem to find a definitive answer. Heres a random example... a decal on the valve cover toward the firewall saying cobra powered 271 HP. That a factory thing? or dealer installed dress up? I know not to expect 1 book to have all the answers, but I also dont mind starting a mini library in the shop lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!