Need some advice...

• Hey guys,

I don't post here often but lurk often. I own a 1966 Shelby GT350, a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger, and a 1965 K code GT convertible.

Currently I'm in the process of yanking the motor in my K car so that I can redetail the engine compartment, and put in a warmed up 289 four barrel that I built for my Tiger. I'm breaking in the Tiger motor in my K car because it is tighter than a cheerleader on prom night from the rebuild, and Tigers are very prone to overheating problems, which I don't want to deal with during break in. I plan to put around 500 miles on it before I put the HiPo back in.

My HiPo motor is all original and numbers matching. I happen to have an extra set of valve covers, intake, oil pan, and carburetor for my Shelby(all original buddy bar castings, carb is a repro I bought years ago). I'm tempted to put these on my HiPo motor while it's out of the car (keeping all the original parts in a box, of course).

What do you guys think? Do you think this enhances the value of my car? I have the parts, so it's FREE for me to pick up the extra ponies. I also think the 715CFM list 3259 Holley stores better, and is easier to deal with than the stock Autolite (in my experience)

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

• I would think as long as you had all the parts saved and stored properly, that nobody would mind. In a way your just saveing wear and tare on hard to find and costly parts. (The nobody I would be refering to would be the future next owner.) Besides your talking about stuff that would take a few hours and a wrench to put back on.

You said that this was going to be a fun car so have fun with it and enjoy it.

just my 2pennies

• Gerry,

Are you upgrading the radiator on your Tiger? There are several aftermarket companies that make aluminum units now, which do a better job of cooling. Seems like alot of work switching motors to break in an engine. Even once the engine is broken in, if it's running hot you will have to address the cooling system, so why not get it right from the start. There is a fair amount of info about these upgrades if you do an internet search.

For your Kvert, you talk about resale value, so you might be selling it in the future. If it's an original car, stock is better. I am not sure the pricey Shelby parts would make your vert more sellable, even with the stock parts going along with the sale. The Shelby parts by themselves would bring a pretty good price in the marketplace, and chances are your K would sell for the the same $'s with or without the Shelby parts on it. Either way, as mentioned, switching them is an afternoon job if you decide to sell.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Gerry,

Are you upgrading the radiator on your Tiger? There are several aftermarket companies that make aluminum units now, which do a better job of cooling. Seems like alot of work switching motors to break in an engine. Even once the engine is broken in, if it's running hot you will have to address the cooling system, so why not get it right from the start. There is a fair amount of info about these upgrades if you do an internet search.

For your Kvert, you talk about resale value, so you might be selling it in the future. If it's an original car, stock is better. I am not sure the pricey Shelby parts would make your vert more sellable, even with the stock parts going along with the sale. The Shelby parts by themselves would bring a pretty good price in the marketplace, and chances are your K would sell for the the same $'s with or without the Shelby parts on it. Either way, as mentioned, switching them is an afternoon job if you decide to sell. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi Chuck...

Actually, I've done some research on my Tiger cooling issues already, and do plan on installing an aluminum radiator (would appreciate a source if you have one) as well as a few other mods when I get around to putting this new motor in the car (I've owned this car since around 1991). I blocked off the horn holes and installed a "pusher" fan a few years ago, and those 2 things alone helped quite a bit. I'd put a LAT hood on it if I didn't think they were ugly.

When I do this mod, I also may widen the opening for the radiator to get more air flow (CAREFULLY with a template), and I am definitely going to seal the front of the lower radiator. I'll also be looking for another flex fan, as mine is pretty beat up. As an experiment, I'd like to make a short aluminum "belly pan" for the front of the car and see if that helps any as well. Yes, I have the fan shroud.

With regard to the break in, I need to redetail my K car again anyway, so it's no big deal (it's winter, so I don't lose any drive time). Also, it's just plain easier to do in the Mustang rather than the cramped Tiger engine compartment if I run into any problems.

The motor for the Tiger is pretty nice. It's a 6 bolt 1966 289 with a Comp Cams "Nostalgia" cam. The cam I bought is the hydraulic version of the HiPo cam. Also, it has a rebuilt Ford dual point HiPo distributor (with a pertronix unit), an edelbrock F4B intake maniford, and a custom 715 CFM Shelby Holley carb I put together specifically for this motor (more of my expensive extra Shelby parts, I know). The motor has been bored, the crank turned, hardened valve seats, new valves and springs,etc., the usual.

It's not a crazy high compression cammed out monster, so I don't expect any abnormal cooling issues. Just the "normal" Tiger cooling issues.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!