Mecum Auctions - LOT W275 // DALLAS 2023 - 6F08K720540

• I saw this earlier thread here for 7F02K187355 on Mecum Kissimmee January 12, 2023 and curiosity led me to poke around the Mecum site and came across a listing that looks interesting to me.

LOT W275 // DALLAS 2023 - 1966 Ford Mustang GT K-Code Convertible

The car is listed as 1 of 88 Konvertibles produced , 1 of 53 thought to be remaining and 1 of 1 Candy Apple Red K-code Mustang with a bench seat. Per the High Performance Mustang Registry by Tony Gregory.

These numbers match my book.

My thought is that the registry consists of 1490 Kars however PG 3 of this same book indicates Approx. 13,000 Kars were made. This really makes the registry a representative sample of ~11% of total production.

Am I missing something here? or could this description be an incorrect representation of the production numbers for this car?

The wording indicates Per the registry so technically it is not incorrect however when the description headline highlights 1 of 88 produced. It seems a little incorrect.

I was in the process of reaching out to the auction but the car sold while I was drafting an email.

• The Tony Gregory registry portion of the book is based on information sent to the registry before the 4 editions of the book were published. I have all four books. This information came from current and past owners. Some of the information came from the book "In Search of Mustangs" by Jim Smart who was with Mustang Monthly at the time. I have that book as well. That book also received information from current and past owners. Some information also came from observations at car shows and auctions. This applies to both previously mentioned books. Some of the information even came from automobile salvage establishments (known as junk yards to our members of more advanced age :) ) This applies only to the 1965 and 1966 model years as the Ford records for 1965 and 1966 were destroyed before anybody cared about such things. The 1967 model years are available from Kevin Marti because he has those Ford records. You can tell by how few 1967 Kars are listed in the registry compared to the actual Ford production that the registry is far from complete. This, to me, makes the Tony Gregory registry a poor representation of what Ford built in 1965 and 1966. Being an incomplete record, somebody making exacting statements of production numbers for 1965 and 1966 models and options inaccurate at best.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• "somebody making exacting statements of production numbers for 1965 and 1966 models and options inaccurate at best"

Couldn't agree more. The registries have always been an honor system. It's not feasible to authenticate every claim online but 20 years ago I floated the idea on the original site to have a network of known members who could verify cars at shows or via paperwork or other means but it didn't go anywhere.

• "somebody making exacting statements of production numbers for 1965 and 1966 models and options inaccurate at best"

Couldn't agree more. The registries have always been an honor system. It's not feasible to authenticate every claim online but 20 years ago I floated the idea on the original site to have a network of known members who could verify cars at shows or via paperwork or other means but it didn't go anywhere.

The problem even with known member verification is that it still does not account for exactly the 1965 and 1966 Kars that Ford originally built by quantity and model. It would only help give credence to currently known Kars, although even that would have been helpful.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

The problem even with known member verification is that it still does not account for exactly the 1965 and 1966 Kars that Ford originally built by quantity and model. It would only help give credence to currently known Kars, although even that would have been helpful.

-Fred-

100% agree we will never know how many were made

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!