• I am looking for information regarding the correct fuel pump for a 1965 Hipo. It is my understanding that the pump is referred to as a "Button Top" and has a secondary spring below the lever arm. I am also aware that button top pumps also came as a single spring pump for standard engine applications. Which pump is correct, a "CARTER" or a "CARBURETER" ? Was the inlet 5/16" or 3/8"? I am assuming 5/16" but have seen both inlet sizes on 65 style (cannister filter) pumps.

Thank you,

Greg

• I am looking for information regarding the correct fuel pump for a 1965 Hipo. It is my understanding that the pump is referred to as a "Button Top" and has a secondary spring below the lever arm. I am also aware that button top pumps also came as a single spring pump for standard engine applications. Which pump is correct, a "CARTER" or a "CARBURETER" ? Was the inlet 5/16" or 3/8"? I am assuming 5/16" but have seen both inlet sizes on 65 style (cannister filter) pumps.

Thank you,

Greg

Greg, the pump you are seeking is a 3939-S with a CARbureTER Made in USA casting. Yes, it is referred to as a "button top" and has two springs with a 5/16" inlet nipple. A spring under the lever arm was used by rebuilders back in the day on standard "button top" pumps so do not go by that as being a Hipo pump. When they installed the outer spring without the correct Hipo only rocker arm, they eliminated the provision for the internal spring. The correct pump is also one of the most expensive single parts for your 65 Kar other than a complete engine assembly. These are considered by most to be "Unicorn horns" and I believe the "horns" are more common in today's world. Best of luck with finding one, especially with a correct date code for your Kar. These fuel pumps setup for fuel filters, are extremely fragile. The filter area generally is bent, corroded or both and that part is really tough to locate in good condition.

If you do come up with one, I can restore it.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!