• I put the missing clutch assist spring isolators on the other night. When I took the screws out for the vent cable I found a bare ground wire wrapped around the one of the screws. Now I’ve owned this car for 45 years. For the life of me I don’t remember ever adding it. Obviously I never had to take anything apart before to see it.

I looked at some wiring schematic and pictures on line, I don’t see a ground it might be. I tried to follow it, just goes up behind the cluster.. next step would be remove the cluster.. any ideas where this is supposed to be or what this may be for?

Edited once, last by 289kford (May 6, 2022 at 4:18 PM).

• Wow, that could be anything! A bare wire indicates that it's non-factory. Finding the other end of it will probably be the only way to determine what it's there for. I guess you could disconnect it and see if anything changes. Good luck.

• I did leave it off but the weather is not cooperating to hook up the battery and take the car out. I considered maybe it was a factory ground moved, but why remove the eyelet? For that matter why didn’t they add an eyelet if it was an added ground? If I get ambitious I’ll pull the cluster. My first thought was maybe it was (moved) factory wiring but I just didn’t see it the pictures. Thought possibly someone would recognize “yes there’s one back there but it should be….”

The car does have a rally pac, it’s a low profile though that I thought was 1966. If it was added by the 1st owner maybe it’s a ground for that. I talked to the second owner, it was in there when he bought it.

Edited 3 times, last by 289kford (May 6, 2022 at 7:59 PM).

• Official Post

If your Kar is a GT or pony interior Kar, the correct Rally Pac is the low profile version. All Rally Pacs for both 1965 and 1966 have 1965 part numbers and the differentiation is the 5 dial or Falcon type instrument cluster in 1965.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!