• Chuck, the harmonic balancer is not really a good example. They are dated by month only, as you already know. The balancer is the only thing that I can think of right now that is only dated by the month and year. Depending on what day of the month the balancer was stamped, it could be anywhere from one week if, as an example, the balancer was stamped on the last day of the previous month. It could also be as much as eight weeks if the balancer was stamped on the first day of the previous month. Of course this also depends on when the balancer was actually used.

As far as the two weeks, that time does seem awfully close, although I am open to correction.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Just as an example, a group of HP289 engines were assembled August 25-26, 1964 that were built with G4 dated harmonic balancers. One engine that had never apart had a 4H6 casting date intake manifold. More than one in the lot had August 1964 cast timing covers. Distributors were assembled 4GB and 4HB.

In September this engine was assembled: Assembly date 4J15, the intake was cast 4J4, the dizzy assembled 4HB, block cast 4H16, head castings poured 4G21, and the balancer was dated G4.

Dan

• Thank you both Fred and Dan , i was looking at the J4 balancer listed on e bay as a possibility for a J18 assy dated K short block i have, i thought it would have been to close a date for it but i thought i would ask anyway , i just want to say that you two guys are by far the best source to go to for this information , best regards, chuck.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!