Return of a Legend, 12 more '66 GT-350 Convertibles in the early 80s

• This probably belongs on a Shelby forum but since I'm not a member of any and don't own a Shelby I thought I'd post this here.

I was going thru my collection of Hot Rod magazines and ran across the Dec. 1980 issue that has an article about the 12 GT350s Carrol Shelby and Co. built in the early '80s. I never knew I had this issue of Hot Rod and vaguely remember the cars.

According to the article Shelby American Inc, Special Projects Manager Al Dowd, former GT350 Production Manager Jack Khoury and Shelby Engineer Phil Remington worked with Beverly Hills Mustang Pres. J. Brunk to build 8 with auto trans, 3 with Toploaders and 1 with a Doug Nash 5 speed. Each car had an original "K" engine. However the article doesn't mention if the 12 convertible bodies were original "K" cars. The engines were equipment with an Accel distributor, Shelby Big Burn Plasma electronic ignition, original Try-Y headers, Stewart-Warner fuel pump and a Holley 4-barrel.

Anyone know If any of the cars are still around and what happened to the donor "K" cars? I assume the donors were probably in pretty poor shape and it's a real shame they are probably lost forever.

Finally the article closes with saying; "The 12 new Shelby's will follow the original 6 numerically in the Shelby American registry, as the convertibles were the last Shelby's built in '66. The official number of Shelby No. 1 will be logged as SFM6S2381."

• I helped supply some of the pieces for these cars when they were built. When they were done with the build, I bought a lot of the leftover pieces. None of these continuation cars were K models. A few have surfaced over the years and I am unaware of any of them not surviving.

There were a lot of liberties taken in the build of these cars. They all, as far as I know, ended up with pony interiors which was NOT the way the originals were built as they had standard interiors.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Back in 1980 it was a popularly held belief there were 6 convertibles built at the end of 66 GT350 production. Now we know there were only four, 6S2375 (green), 6S2376 (yellow), 6S2377 (red), and 6S2378 (blue). As mentioned the first continuation was numbered 6S2381. As Fred indicated all are accounted for according to the latest 66 SAAC Registry.

Dave
    6S1757

• Dave and Fred,

Thanks for responding to my post. Interesting pieces of history I wasn't aware of. This is what I like about this board, I learn something new all the time.

Kevin

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!