Front suspension rebuild

• After rebuilding front end the drag link is making contact with starter when turning wheel all the way to right. Replaced all tie rods, drag link, Idler an bracket an had front end alignment, any suggestions on possible cause.

Relicdog

• I did the work, followed all torque specs, assembled according to manual, was supposed to be assembly line originals, purchased from J. D. Larson ( all classic motors)

Maybe the wrong idler arm, people say Manuel an power are the same what’s your opinion on that.

Relicdog

• I did the work, followed all torque specs, assembled according to manual, was supposed to be assembly line originals, purchased from J. D. Larson ( all classic motors)

Maybe the wrong idler arm, people say Manuel an power are the same what’s your opinion on that.

Relicdog

Manual and power steering idler arms are definitely different, however the pivot mounted on the frame is the same. There is no way to invert the drag link as it would not fit onto the pitman arm upside down. The power steering idler arm has a much larger bushing to help the steering return to center after a turn but the offset is the same. The tie rod ends on the passenger side are the same for both manual and power steering.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Which idler arm has metal teeth, power, manual or both.

Relicdog

I will need to check when I return home, but I believe that both have the teeth.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Which idler arm has metal teeth, power, manual or both.

Relicdog

I will need to check when I return home, but I believe that both have the teeth.

-Fred-

I checked my NOS idler arms that I have in stock. The manual steering arm does not have the teeth but the power steering version does.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks Fred,

The idler arm that I was using has teeth, I have one without teeth, hopefully that fixes my problem, I will post results.

Relicdog

Being as you have both idler arms, it will be easy to compare the bushings. The power steering version has a noticeably larger bushing than the manual steering version.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• After changing to manual steer idler arm everything turned out fine, I’ve been told the power steering idler arm should have worked but for some reason it presented a problem.

Any way all is fine now, going for alignment soon I’m thinking or should I say trying for 2positive on caster, .5 or .75 negative on camber an 1/16 - 1/8 on toe in. I’m open to suggestions if anyone knows a better setup.

Thanks,

Relicdog

• After changing to manual steer idler arm everything turned out fine, I’ve been told the power steering idler arm should have worked but for some reason it presented a problem.

Any way all is fine now, going for alignment soon I’m thinking or should I say trying for 2positive on caster, .5 or .75 negative on camber an 1/16 - 1/8 on toe in. I’m open to suggestions if anyone knows a better setup.

Thanks,

Relicdog

I am happy that you were able to resolve this issue. Thank you for sharing this with the forum.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!