• Hello all,

I purchased a '66 Fastback Fastback GT (factory) 2 years ago from the family of a gentleman that had owned the car since 1967. It is a 4-spd and actually an A-code car but at some point he started swapping various K-code parts. It has a tapered 9" axle housing (along with 3.89 open diff.) from what I believe was a '65 K-code, a close ratio toploader that I believe is from a '67 K-code, and the current engine while not officially a hipo unit seems to be comprised of mostly hipo parts. The original A-code engine is on a stand.

It has a Mexican 302 block (I know, not 289 or K-code) date coded late 1968 with the larger main caps,

HiPo heads date coded late July and Early August 1964 and solid lifters so possibly HiPo cam,

What appears to be HiPo rods- 3/8" rectangular head rod bolts and orange paint on the sides of the rods,

What appears to be a HiPo selected crank but not certain; has some remnants of orange paint on one the journals,

C3OE-B damper, has G4 stamped next to timing marks

Flywheel is C3OE-6380 B 160-tooth, with daub of what looks more like yellow paint

Hatchet counterweight and timing set is no longer there, has double roller chain instead.

Aluminum water pump, no backing plate,

Screwed together fuel pump with integral filter, but no markings

Older Cobra intake manifold

HiPo exhaust manifolds

It also came with two dual point distributors

I've not driven the car yet. The previous owner passed away in 2013 and I'm not sure when the last time was that he drove it. I've been trying to go through the mechanicals to get it on the road and then see what it needs. I've redone the rear end and installed a 3.25 limited slip (for now), added the 10x2.5" rear drum brake setup, might put a wide ratio gear set in the toploader, and have been doing some tests on the engine to make sure it's road worthy.

I'm hoping to just enjoy it as-is for now and go through different areas as I go along. The body is straight and original but has been re-sprayed and has the lower drivers door rust and the right rear lower quarter rust that will need repair.

I'm excited to see how the "hipo" engine runs and hope to run it for several years but I figure I may have a rebuild or other in my future. I like the idea of having this engine in the car but since these parts aren't a match for this car I may think about selling the heads, damper, distributors, etc. to someone that actually needs them specifically for a K-code restoration. I have a set of '69 351W heads that have been gone through with oversize valves and portwork that I could put on the car at some point if need be and still be somewhat period correct.

In the mean time, I'm sure I'll need help along the way to make sure I'm setting it up properly.

Thanks!

• Welcome aboard, Chuck!!

You are fortunate to have bought a non Hipo car with more Hipo parts than some of our Hipo Kars came with when we bought them.

In regards to the heads, the Hipo heads on your car are more desirable in stock form and the 351W heads were Fords suggested replacements for more power back in the Muscle Parts era so you are on the right track.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Welcome to the site chuck. sounds like your going to have some fun with your build. if i may ask what did you get the 2.5 rear brake set up from and what rear backing plates ,ive been thinking of doing that to my 65 K . -chuck-

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!