• I will be replacing the head gaskets on my original and unmodified motor this spring. Had one fail externally (nothing in the oil) Any recommendations on a book gasket to use an/or anytime doing the job? I have done them before but never on a K motor. Thanks!

Jack

• Official Post

I will be replacing the head gaskets on my original and unmodified motor this spring. Had one fail externally (nothing in the oil) Any recommendations on a book gasket to use an/or anytime doing the job? I have done them before but never on a K motor. Thanks!

Jack

I have had good luck with both FelPro and Victor gaskets. Of course Ford gaskets are also good but tough to find and generally more expensive these days. The K engine is not any more difficult to work with than most other American 8 cylinder engines. The only main difference being mechanical compared to hydraulic lifters.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Be carful to install them both with front that is printed in the gaskets toward the front of the block as it is possible to have the right bank gasket reversed resulting in the rear coolant passage to be blocked off that will result in overheating problems.

• Be carful to install them both with front that is printed in the gaskets toward the front of the block as it is possible to have the right bank gasket reversed resulting in the rear coolant passage to be blocked off that will result in overheating problems.

Just in case you installed the gaskets already and were unaware of which way you installed them, there is an easy way to check them once installed. Once installed the tell is more obvious. There will be a square tab of the head gasket sticking out in the lower front corner of the heads. If you do not see the tab, your gaskets are installed incorrectly and heating problems are guaranteed.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!