6F09K132549 at Mecum Kissimmee 2020

• This 66 Hipo GT fastback sold at Mecum Kissimmee 2020 today January 9, 2020 for a hammer price of $56,000:

Highlights

• 289/271 HP V-8 engine
    • Block no. C5AC-6015E
    • C60E intake manifold
    • Autolite 4100 series 4-barrel carburetor
    • C42E-7A040-A transmission
    • C42E-3430-AR and C30E-9431-BL exhaust manifolds
    • GT Equipment Group
    • Deluxe Pony bucket seat interior
    • Rally Pack
    • 4-speed manual transmission
    • Front disc brakes
    • Full length console
    • Fold down rear seat
    • Tinted glass
    • Previously owned by Gene Lack
    • Original door tag

This 1966 Mustang checks off all the right boxes for first-generation pony car collectability: fastback body style, GT Equipment Group, Décor Interior Group, 4-speed transmission, and­—perhaps most importantly—a K-code 289 High Performance engine. Drivetrain authenticity is also showcased in this Wimbledon White fastback with block casting No. C5AC-6015E, a C60E intake manifold with the correct Autolite 4100 series 4-barrel carburetor, C42E-3430-AR and C30E-9431-BL exhaust manifolds, and C42E-7A040-A transmission. Previously owned by Gene Lack, the Mustang is also equipped with a full-length floor console, fold-down rear seat, styled steel wheels with dual redline tires, and a steering column-mounted Rally-Pac with clock and HiPo-specific 8,000 RPM tachometer. The GT package adds sporty visuals like grille-mounted fog lights, black rocker-panel stripes, red cloisonné GT front fender emblems, a GT gas cap and dual trumpet exhaust tips that provide a burbling exhaust note at idle. As a GT, the fastback is also equipped with the front disc brakes, quicker steering ratio and the Special Handling Package with heavy-duty springs, stiffer shocks and a larger front sway bar. GTs were available only with one of two 4-barrel V-8s. This one is packed with the high-revving 289 High Performance that generates 271 HP thanks to its solid-lifter cam, unique cylinder heads with heavy-duty springs, 4-barrel carburetor and free-flowing exhaust manifolds. The open-element air cleaner and chrome valve covers are HiPo only. Inside, the beautiful blue and white Décor interior, known as the “Pony” interior by Mustang enthusiasts, features specially shaped front bucket seats, wood-grain trim, molded door panels, a wood-rim steering wheel and upholstery embossed with running horses on the seatbacks. In the world of early Mustangs, it doesn’t get much better than a GT fastback with the K-code 289 HiPo and blue and white Pony interior.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39…-code-fastback/

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Although this Kar presents well, it would have been good to have had a prepurchase inspection done as there are some obvious things that stand out. I will just mention a couple here:

Distributor

Fuel pump

No choke cable? Possibly wrong carb?

Cheap repro air cleaner

Coil

Fuel line routing from fuel pump to carb

Appears to have valve cover spacers?

Number on left head appears to be wrong for Hipo?

Missing front bumper guards

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This car went across the block again at Mecum Indy 2020 this time selling for $73K. Note the listing says complete restoration was completed in March 2020..... So they did change out the distributor and removed the valve cover spacers but the other issues Fred noted above remain. Note Mecum currently shows the car as Sold but the sales price is no longer present.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-41…-code-fastback/

• Official Post

This car went across the block again at Mecum Indy 2020 this time selling for $73K. Note the listing says complete restoration was completed in March 2020..... So they did change out the distributor and removed the valve cover spacers but the other issues Fred noted above remain. Note Mecum currently shows the car as Sold but the sales price is no longer present.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-41…-code-fastback/

You are correct that there is no sale price listed. Originally I thought that maybe I was not logged into Mecum but all of the other sales that I checked around this auction had prices. This is very unusual for Mecum from what I have seen.

Was this auction actually run with a group of bidders in person or was it only online? I was under the impression that these auctions were stopped due to COVID-19 but apparently I am incorrect.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I was watching on TV when this one went live so that is when I noted the sales price. I also thought that maybe I was not logged in.

The auction was online until it was time to cross the block and then it converted to the normal in person bidding along with phone and internet bids. The online pre-bidding was mostly token bid amounts. The Ken Miles 65 GT350 was at $650K in online bidding and finally sold for $3.5MM.

There were a couple of more Ks that sold but I could not find their VINs.

• Official Post

I was watching on TV when this one went live so that is when I noted the sales price. I also thought that maybe I was not logged in.

The auction was online until it was time to cross the block and then it converted to the normal in person bidding along with phone and internet bids. The online pre-bidding was mostly token bid amounts. The Ken Miles 65 GT350 was at $650K in online bidding and finally sold for $3.5MM.

There were a couple of more Ks that sold but I could not find their VINs.

There must not be as stringent of rules at Indy for size of groups of people during this COVID-19 deal than in some other places. I really though that auctions were no longer allowed with a live audience, kind of like MLB, NBA and NHL games. I really did not even expect the auctions to happen at all in the current environment.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!