Replacement Timing Set

• I am rebuilding my engine and I can’t seem to find a timing set that will work with the hatchet weight. The machine shop gave me a double roller that would work without the weight.

The camshaft was a melling part but I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement set.

I found a cloyes set from Napa that looks right but is there a better quality replacement? The one I found would also need to be drilled for the roll pin to attach the weight. How would I do that?

Thanks for any advice.

Napa Set
    3-PIECE TIMING SET

Part #: NTP 203014

• The only currently produced "stock" K code camshaft that I'm aware of is an Elgin E-811-S. Original Solid Lifter specs. Others may know of something else available. Fred probably has the timing gears you need. Welcome aboard.

1965 Silver Smoke Gray K GT Coupe
    1965 Springtime Yellow K Fastback
    1967 Vintage Burgandy K GT Coupe
    1970 Calypso Coral Boss 302
    1984 Light Canyon Red GT 5.0 Convertible (Original Owner)
    2012 Blaze Yellow Boss 302

• Quote from Menace

I am rebuilding my engine and I can’t seem to find a timing set that will work with the hatchet weight. The machine shop gave me a double roller that would work without the weight.

The camshaft was a melling part but I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement set.

I found a cloyes set from Napa that looks right but is there a better quality replacement? The one I found would also need to be drilled for the roll pin to attach the weight. How would I do that?

Thanks for any advice.

Napa Set
    3-PIECE TIMING SET

Part #: NTP 203014

The first thing that you will need to address is the year and change level of your engine. If you have a 66, things are easier. As far as drilling the crank gear for the pin, that is only the first issue. The crank gear is also thinner to accommodate the thickness of the hatchet. Otherwise the upper and lower sprockets will be out of line for the timing chain and your harmonic balancer will stick out further which will throw your pulleys out of alignment.

Yes, I do have the correct NOS Ford pieces for this however you should email me to discuss this further.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Quote from C6ZZKGT

The first thing that you will need to address is the year and change level of your engine. If you have a 66, things are easier. As far as drilling the crank gear for the pin, that is only the first issue. The crank gear is also thinner to accommodate the thickness of the hatchet. Otherwise the upper and lower sprockets will be out of line for the timing chain and your harmonic balancer will stick out further which will throw your pulleys out of alignment.

Yes, I do have the correct NOS Ford pieces for this however you should email me to discuss this further.

-Fred-

Another thing that is a great reference is Bob Mannels book on the small block Ford. Everybody working with these engines should have this book. I know that he is almost out of them so do not hesitate. The book is quite comprehensive and is only $39.00.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Quote from 65KGT

Holman Moody in Charlotte can still grind you a HiPo cam at a very reasonable rate. The cam will be dead on.

[Blocked Image: http://65kgt.home.mindspring.com/index_htm_files/171.jpg][Blocked Image: http://65kgt.home.mindspring.com/index_htm_files/172.jpg]

This is good information. I was unaware of this.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Holman Moody in Charlotte can still grind you a HiPo cam at a very reasonable rate. The cam will be dead on.

[Blocked Image: http://65kgt.home.mindspring.com/index_htm_files/171.jpg][Blocked Image: http://65kgt.home.mindspring.com/index_htm_files/172.jpg]

Thanks for the information. I already ordered a cam from comp cams, their nostalgia plus which has a similar grind. I haven’t fired the engine yet so I don’t know how it will perform but hopefully soon I find out!

• Hi, Comp Cams do a replacement pn- SKU 31-110-5 following as per Comp cams website
    Factory Muscle 228/227 Solid Flat Cam for Ford 221-302

SOLID:Factory I.D. # C30Z-6250-C for, 289 c.i. 65-68’, Factory 271 hp
    SKU 31-110-5

Engine Family: Ford 221, 260, 289, 302 c.i. 8 Cylinder (1963-1995)
    RPM Operating Range: 2,200-6,200
    Grind Number: C30ZS
    Cam Type: Solid Flat Tappet
    Lifter Style: Solid Flat Tappet
    Camshaft Series: Factory Muscle
    Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-Bolt
    Valve Springs Required: Yes
    Camshaft Material: Cast Iron
    California Proposition 65: WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
    Advertised Intake Duration: 263
    Advertised Exhaust Duration: 261
    Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 228
    Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 227
    Intake Valve Lift: 0.478
    Exhaust Valve Lift: 0.475
    Lobe Separation: 114
    Assembly Lubricant Included: Yes
    Recommended Components
    Reviews

Also a Nostalgia Plus 225/232 Solid Flat Cam for Ford 221-302

Nostalgia Plus 225/232 Solid Flat Cam for Ford 221-302

SOLID: Outstanding power & modern tight lash with Ford 271 HP 289 cam character.
    SKU 31-671-4

Specs as follows
    Engine Family: Ford 221, 260, 289, 302 c.i. 8 Cylinder (1963-1995)
    RPM Operating Range: 2,200-6,800
    Grind Number: N+271S
    Cam Type: Solid Flat Tappet
    Lifter Style: Solid Flat Tappet
    Camshaft Series: Nostalgia Plus
    Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-Bolt
    Usage: Street/Performance
    Valve Springs Required: Yes
    Camshaft Material: Cast Iron
    California Proposition 65: WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm P65Warnings.ca.gov
    Advertised Intake Duration: 262
    Advertised Exhaust Duration: 269
    Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 225
    Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift: 232
    Intake Valve Lift: 0.495
    Exhaust Valve Lift: 0.495
    Lobe Lift Intake: 0.309
    Lobe Lift Exhaust: 0.306
    Lobe Separation: 112
    Intake Centerline: 108
    Assembly Lubricant Included: Yes
    Valve Timing @ 0.015 Lift:
    Exhaust Close ATDC: 19
    Exhaust Open BBDC: 71
    spec-card-valve-timing
    Intake Open BTDC: 23
    Intake Close ABDC: 59

Edited once, last by Zed (October 30, 2019 at 7:35 AM).

• Excellent detailed information on these cams. Thanks for posting this.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!