Nos outer tie rods

• Quote from relicdog

On outer tie rods Manuel steer is there some sort of sleeve on threaded rod inside of boot,one tie rod has this an one don’t. Thanks, Relicdog

Is this an NOS Ford tie rod end without a setup for a zerk fitting?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Quote from relicdog

Yes Fred, these are nos outer tie rods, no zerk fitting, one looks like it has a sleeve of some sort on shaft under the boot the other one does not, which one is correct.

There normally is no sleeve under the boot as it would not let the stud sit all of the way down in the taper of the spindle. Is this sleeve possibly the cardboard tube that goes between the nut and the boot on a new part just to make sure the boot stays put while in the box? You will need to carefully remove the boot to find out. It can easily be reinstalled. If you do ruin the boot, I have NOS ones.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• There normally is no sleeve under the boot as it would not let the stud sit all of the way down in the taper of the spindle. Is this sleeve possibly the cardboard tube that goes between the nut and the boot on a new part just to make sure the boot stays put while in the box? You will need to carefully remove the boot to find out. It can easily be reinstalled. If you do ruin the boot, I have NOS ones.

-Fred-

[hr]
    Thanks Fred, you were right, it was a small piece of cardboard that had worked its way below the boot, this is a fine example of why this forum was sadly missed by us K-CODE owners, the answers to our questions are fast an dead on.

Thanks again,
    Relicdog

Edited once, last by relicdog (August 6, 2019 at 12:28 AM).

• Quote from relicdog

On outer tie rods Manuel steer is there some sort of sleeve on threaded rod inside of boot,one tie rod has this an one don’t. Thanks, Relicdog

Is this an NOS Ford tie rod end without a setup for a zerk fitting?

-Fred-

Yes Fred, these are nos outer tie rods, no zerk fitting, one looks like it has a sleeve of some sort on shaft under the boot the other one does not, which one is correct.

There normally is no sleeve under the boot as it would not let the stud sit all of the way down in the taper of the spindle. Is this sleeve possibly the cardboard tube that goes between the nut and the boot on a new part just to make sure the boot stays put while in the box? You will need to carefully remove the boot to find out. It can easily be reinstalled. If you do ruin the boot, I have NOS ones.

-Fred-

[hr]
    Thanks Fred, you were right, it was a small piece of cardboard that had worked its way below the boot, this is a fine example of why this forum was sadly missed by us K-CODE owners, the answers to our questions are fast an dead on.

Thanks again,
    Relicdog

I feel like I did OK diagnosing this issue without even a picture. : )

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Edited once, last by C6ZZKGT (August 6, 2019 at 2:17 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!