WTB- C3 Starter for 4-Speed or Nose Cone

• Ha, wish I had one because I need your long automatic nose cone for mine :) If you find one and want to sell your long nose cone, PM and we can work something out...

Thanks,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Edited once, last by Morsel (June 17, 2019 at 9:06 PM).

• Official Post

Ha, wish I had one because I need your long automatic nose cone for mine :) If you find one and want to sell your long nose cone, PM and we can work something out...

Thanks,

Jason

Where are you guys getting information that standard and automatic transmission starters are different on 65 through 67 289 Mustangs? The Ford MPC is fairly ambiguous on this so it is easy to make an error. I at one time thought the same thing. Fairlanes used a different starter for standard transmissions as they used a 164 tooth flywheel which is spaced differently. Mustangs used 157/160 tooth flywheels for both automatic and standard transmissions. Fairlanes used the 157/160 tooth flywheel for their automatic transmissions.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• -Fred-

Hey Fred,

From everything I've read on various forums, there is no difference in the starter itself, it's just the nose cone of the starter on an automatic car is longer than a standard car... here's a thread on the SAAC forum that discusses this and Bob Gaines has a nice photo showing the difference in the nose cones.

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=965.msg8613#msg8613

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

• OK, after more research and looking into this deeper after our conversation Fred, you were absolutely correct. I dug deeper and talked to Jim who has both an automatic and 4 Speed car, and the answer is all the 65/66/67 cars that had either the 160 tooth or 157 tooth flywheel received the "Long Nose Cone" version starter. It was in 1968 is when the switch over occurred and when the 164 tooth flywheel came that they switched the bell housing on 4-Speed cars and needed the "short nosed cone" one. So it depend on you flywheel type. Here's a thread stating and showing what we were talking about...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.0

Kurt is correct in the fourth comment... and the MPC catalog confirms there was only one starter used for both automatics and standard cars, if there was truly a difference as big as a nose cone change, they would have different numbers.

then on the second page there's this link to more visuals about the flywheel tooth count and starter.

https://static.speedwaymotors.com/images/pdf/91067433.pdf

So back to the original post and want from "Rickmustang", unless your flywheel bellhousing was changed to a 164 toothed version, you need the long nose cone you have ;)

Thanks,

Jason

Edited once, last by Morsel (June 19, 2019 at 2:13 AM).

• Just to finalize this. I came to the same conclusion from the MOC and talking to Jim at Shelby Parts. So I rebuilt my original starter and put the other on the shelf for a spare. Thanks for all the help. Rick

Edited once, last by Rickmustang (August 24, 2019 at 3:39 PM).

• Quote from Rickmustang

Just to finalize this. I came to the same conclusion from the MOC and talking to Jim at Shelby Parts. So I rebuilt my original starter and put the other on the shelf for a spare. Thanks for all the help. Rick

This has been a very confusing subject due to errors in some of the parts reference books on this. If you actually have both the 157/160 tooth manual transmission flywheels and the 164 tooth manual transmission flywheels, which I do, in your hands, the difference is obvious due to the ring gear placement on the flywheel.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Quote from 289kford

just changed my starter. this is another take on the differences. you need to measure the ring gear depth
    https://www.moderndriveline.com/Docs/Ford%20de…006_30_2010.pdf

I wanted to post the pic, but can't paste it.

Thanks for posting this. We can never have too much information, as long as it is correct like this.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!