Winter storage time again - about the oil...

• Personally I'd rather change oil in the fall so the contaminants aren't sitting in your engine all winter. If you don't start it during the winter I don't see a need to change it again in the spring.

Edited by - 66KGT on 10/04/2007 14:58:59

• I have always changed it in both my K car and my 87 5.0 LX, prior to the winter layup which for me is around Thanksgiving. I do not change it during the driving season as both cars typically are driven a maximum of 1,000 to 1,500 miles annually and I do not start up either car during the winter. Mobil 1 is used in both cars. I have had my K for 11 years and the LX for 21 years with no oil related issues so far.

Jack

• The bottom paragraph of that article implies that you'd only need to change it before storage. What I would wonder about is that during the first and last month of storage, the temperature would be varying a lot and that could lead to condensation. But I suppose it would change very gradually inside the engine and not cause that issue.

• I change oil when i put it away for winter . Then once a month i remove wire at coil then i crank engine over a few times til i get oil pressure. I put baking soda in pie tins put them inside car and trunk to catch moisture.

Mike

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!