rear axle question

• hi,

i have a question about my rear axle. i'm not 100% sure that the axle is correct. there's no tag on it. i tried checking it by jacking up the rear and revolving the tire. i counted the turns on the yoke and ended up with around 5 turns. can someone give me a hint on what rear end is on my car?

thanks

abudi

• There are some part numbers on the differential near where it connects to the driveshaft. It would help to post those.

Also, assuming that the rear end came with the car, the door tag on the driver's side has a number or letter code along the top row, second from right end, that would identify the axle ratio. These codes vary depending on the year of the car (and axle).

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

There are some part numbers on the differential near where it connects to the driveshaft. It would help to post those.

Also, assuming that the rear end came with the car, the door tag on the driver's side has a number or letter code along the top row, second from right end, that would identify the axle ratio. These codes vary depending on the year of the car (and axle).

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

the door tage says 5 and the car is a 66 coupe...

i'm assuming that means the car should have a 3,5:1 rear axle right??

the numbers are:

4D24

i hop ethat helps a little.

thanks

abudi

• For 1966, the '5' means you had a 3.50 rear end, which was pretty standard V-8 stuff.

Your 4D24 number appears to be that part's date code, which would be that part was made on Friday, April 24, 1964. There is another piece off the pumpkin which also has its own date code as well. Similar format. If you clean up the parts, you will notice about 5 sets of numbers on the assembled pieces. You may have to decide yourself which date code you want placed on the tag if you have one made.

Assuming that you have a 9" rear axle, your tag would read:

first line: WCZ-S [assuming standard rear end]

Second line: 3.50:1 [Build Date] [Plant Code - 3 digits]

Kevin Marti makes these tags. Look up Marti Auto Works online. Get your numbers straight first, however.

Good luck!

• thanks for the update. i doubled check everything yesterday and apparently someone swapped the 3rd member or the pinion. the case is still the original as well as the 28 spline axles. i ordered a 3,5:1 set and will have that reinstalled.

thanks again to all

abudi

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!