Factory Casting Repair?

• Factory Repair? I read a thread under RESTORATION with a mention of what was believed to be a factory repair of a rare part and the apparent long length of time between a part’s starting out and when it got used. Along the lines of both time between manufacture and use and also factory repair of expensive parts, I will submit these images of a five (5) bolt bell housing HP289 engine that was installed in a new Cobra in 1964. To the best of my knowledge, based on SAAC Registry information on the car and the details furnished by the man that parted the car out and kept the engine in his basement until I bought is a few years ago, this engine has not run since 1968. The black paint on the block and heads is believed to be original.

Here’s the casting date.

[Blocked Image: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/rr64/IMG_1420s.jpg]

Here’s the date on the oil pan rail.

[Blocked Image: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/rr64/IMG_1421s.jpg]

Here’s the interesting feature. One of the tooling bosses used in production to locate and hold the block appears to have been broken off prior to final machining of the block. In its place is a very nicely made steel replacement. It appears that the broken tab location was machined and this new steel piece put in its place before final machining. I think the repair was before final machining because the L shaped notch machined at the intersection of cast iron block and new boss is squarely done and looks machined all at once under magnification. Look underneath and somebody stamped an elaborate number on the replacement boss. The number was hidden by grime and paint before I got my little wire brush out.

[Blocked Image: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/rr64/IMG_1418s.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/rr64/IMG_1429s.jpg]

This is a Shelby American numbered engine block and does not carry Ford sequential block number like most Ford production five bolt HP289s in Cobras. The original block in CSX2551 is also a Shelby numbered block and it also has a repair done with the same welding style and appearing nickel alloy. The time between casting and machining for both Shelby numbered blocks is similar and both have the same date code stamped on their pan rails.

My question. Has anybody else seen what appears to be Ford repaired HP289 blocks and or cylinder heads?

Dan

• Have seen and had a set of 63 Hipo cylinder heads that had a rail repair on them.The repair was finished much nicer then block but wouldn't think it was uncommon for either or to get out the door.

• There appear to be a number of HiPo blocks cast in June that were held for Shelby for the Cobra. This is likely because Shelby wanted the 5-bolts for which he had already done the engineering (rather than the 6-bolt, although he eventually did install some in Cobras). All the engines that fell in this group seem to have late August assembly date codes. Your engine appears to be one of them.

One Cobra engine with a 4F5 block was assembled on 4H28. Since there is more than one like yours, and it was stamped with a sequenctial number, I doubt that the repair was the reason for the spread between block and assembly date. In addition, this repair is not in the areas Ford designated as a repairable area according to Ford's TSB #25, Article 477. That is not to say it is not a Ford repair, only that reasonable doubt remains without further information.

• Hi,

This appears to be an inhouse Ford fix.When you think about it the block could not be machined without it(the pad)in place.It is used to hold the bare block to the mill table on all 4 corners.It is also quite typical to use a nickle alloy based rod to arc weld cast iron.As stated by Bob-this is not a listed "repairable"area of block repair by Ford in any service manual.The reason is a "repair" is necessary to reseal porosity/cracks,which cause external leaks,in/on a completed engine.These pads were/are only needed for the initial machining of a rough casting,after this process is completed,any machine work can be accomplished and is usually done off of the main bearing bore,not useing these bosses.These damaged and repaired blocks must have passed all other inspection points,and been finished,then put into service/production---that would be the only way to get the final stamp on this part.If any original machine work is/was out of tolerable limits,it will show up as abnormal bearing wear.Hope this adds some insight.

P.D.

PS. Had a good friend watch one of the last 427 side oiler blocks get dropped on the loading dock,which broke off the starter ear.He had to wait for another to be located,as they would not sell him a damaged part,and there were no others made.That was in the 80's and we wonder what they did with the broken one??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!