Early hipo motor ?

• I have an early 5 bolt 289. It has a C3AE-6015N casting with a 3D1 date code. When I research the casting # it is always the first one listed as a 289 (as opposed to a 260) I have never seen anything to indicate this casting was used to produce hipo motors. The interesting thing is the motor has hipo main caps and a "5" stamped on the the engine boss were the early motors had their consecutive hipo motor #'s stamped. The heads are long gone and it has late style rods. Hipo damper(I have not checked the casting #) and hatchet are also present. I had always thought it was a put together motor until I saw the "5" when I was working on the clutch linkage. Any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated. One other thing, the crank has the has the block casting # stamped on it.

Edited by - duckdog1958 on 08/28/2009 11:14:36

• The C5AE-6015N block was used for both the 2V 63 Galaxie 289 engine and the HiPo 63 Fairlane engine. On the blueprints for the HiPo block, it will state that it is the same as the standard engine (by listing its engineering number) and requiring it pass a dye pentrant inspection without indications and call for the substitution of the heavy-duty main bearing caps (by engineering number).

A 3D1 block casting is too early for a 5 sequential number. Could be another stamping or numbers missing. What is the assembly date code? It is located on the head surface all the way forward on the driver's side (near the distributor hole). That number will help see where it might fall in assembly, however, the date would not be before 3D1.

It is not uncommon for a crank to have a C3AE number in the casting. It doesn't mean anything special.

• I disassembled the motor discussed in this thread last night. Found a couple of interesting things. Enough that it again, makes me wonder as to its real story. Block is a C3AE-6015N casting with a 3D1 casting date. It has hipo main caps. The crank has C3AE-N and 3D stamped on the rear counterweights, X stamped on a center counterweight and 3C stamped on the one of the rear counter weights. The block has S stamped were the sequential 5-bolt number would be. Most of this was listed in my earlier post about the motor. What makes me again wonder is that the hipo balancer has a 3D date code. Also, the connecting rods were incorrectly identified by me as Boss 302 rods. (based on pictures the previous owner sent me) They are actually 289 HP rods with Boss 302 bolts. They are a complete numbered set. I would be interested in hearing any thoughts.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!