All Kars with Yellow-top Coils?

• Hey everyone,

I looked through past forum posts before I asked the question and could not find any reference so if I missed it I am sorry.

My question refers to the validity of an original "black-top" coil instead of the mandated Yellow-top variety. I have a 9/21/64 convertible that has an original looking coil albiet black-top. My Kar came from Indiana if that has anything to do with it and is a Dearborn Kar. I have seen an unmolested, original in every way...unrestored and 58K mile 11/64 K-convertible, also from Indiana, with the very same black-top coil. Both coils have the FoMoCo silvery stamp on them.

Is this just an early replacement coil? Vintage upgrade to a hotter coil? Real deal from the factory? Another piece might be that both Kars have dealer installed (not factory) AC and PS.

Any comments or additional info would be greatly appreciated. As a History teacher you can naturally appreciate my need to get the "whole historical picture" on my Kar. I wish my Kar could talk and tell me all the stories it has been a part of.

Thanks,

Bryan

• I agree with Charles. Check out the stamped logo and the information under the logo and you should be able to determine the date the coil was manufactured. If you post an image of the info or the information itself someone will help you decipher the date code and then you will know for sure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!