another jack question

• I need some help with date codes and mustang jack identification. One jack has the U shaped brackets that contain a fine thread jack screw. I cannot find a date code anywhere on it but find a circle with RH stamped inside the circle. The second jack has the same U shaped brackets that contain the coarse thread jack screw with a slightly stylized letter A stamped into the jack. Again I cannot find a date code. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. If some of you original owners of unmolested cars could comment on this it would be most appreciated. I realize that early jacks are very similar, just need your help. Do I have 65 or 68 or 70 jacks? Thanks.

• I sure would. Could you please note if the jack screw is fine thread or coarse thread for me. Also what manufacturing plant was your mustang built at and what time period was the assembly date if it is not too much to ask.

I would still like to hear someone comment on any date codes or other identifying marks on jacks. Thanks.

• Thank you Mu5tanggt. Your jack is identical to two that I have. At least one of the two came from a mid April 66 Metuchen car. The other jack is a fine thread jack screw style with different markings. Anyone else obsessed enough to pay attention to differences in jacks? I searched the archives but could not find relevant information.

Edited by - fourspeed on 01/29/2009 20:38:39

• In having my '65 "K" Convertible restored we have used some repro stuff, some NOS stuff and refinished and cleaned up some used/old stuff, as it turned out I found a (to me) correct looking jack in my stash of parts and sent to my restorer for "restoration" it looks like the ones in the pictures above and DOES have the course thread,I would have to say that if I hadn't found this jack that I would most likely have bought a repro and been done with it, I could care less what the date code is on the jack I found is-it sits below the spare tire and as long as there is a reasonabe looking jack in there thats all I am worried about--I did however spend the money and got an extra SS wheel and dual redline bias-ply tire for my spare!

• I am beginning to think that these jacks for 65 and 66 cars did not have date codes on them. I went over two of mine and could not find a date code anywhere. Most likely they were made for Ford by an outside supplier. If sourced from another supplier, would there be a need for a date code? That may explain the stylized A in the picture above and the other totally different markings on another jack in my posession. Any other original owners care to share their thoughts on this?

• Just to add to this old thread and bring it back to the top. I too am looking for a Nov 65 SJ jack and starting my research. Wish there was more info available.

Anyway just wanted to say I had a jack given to me that is identical to the Apr 66 Metuchen jack pictured with u shaped bracket and for what it is worth the sticker on my jack was on the flip side, same position. Would like to see a pic of an early 66 SJ jack from a known original car.

Also anyone have a comparison pic showing a fine thread vs course thread jack? Maybe someone can count the threads per inch on a known fine thread jack and post that info. Someone earlier said both fine thread and course thread jack came with the u shaped bracket.

-Ray

• There is allot more information available at VMF on the subject. Lorne Willard has lots of info to digest but most of the pics have expired.

My jack does not have the stylized A on the top but is otherwise identical to the jack shown in this thread. One thing we know for sure is the jack shown here is a April 66 Metuchen and I am certainly not disputing that good piece of info.

Reading and following MCA judge Willard's research he suggests that the 65/66 jacks had the threaded bar "nut" rather than the U shaped bracket and has 2 washers ahead of the 13/16 jacking nut and X rivets all around.

I wonder if the Apr 66 jack is considered a later mid year design. A design that was carried through 67,68. Since my jack does not have the stylized A and 1/4 inch hole in same vicinity,for now,I am going to say mine is a 67 or 68.

It appears date coding was seen on 69 and later jacks.

Lastly the jacks that look like course thread are in fact just that. In other words when you see a fine thread jack you will know it. I don't have a thread count per inch but they are about double that of the course thread style. Course thread measures about 6 threads per inch.

What we need is more pics of known 1 or 2 owner original jacks.

Perhaps someone knows Lorne Willard and could ask him to post his most recent research or cut and paste his lengthy post over to this forum.---Ray

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!