Disc Brakes and 14" SS Wheel

• Gents,

I'm looking at upgrading my stock brake system (disc/drum) to disc's all the way around. I would like to put on Wilwoods that allow me to use my SS wheels.

1. Is there a wilwood disc that fits the SS wheel?

2. Does wilwood change offset (want to put some 17x8's on eventually?

Thanks in advance for help.

Damon

• my suggestion is stay away from the 17 inch wheels. they look bad IMO on any early mustangs. go with 16's if you have to. just my .02. i bet most guys here will say the same thing.

• Any disc brake rotor that will fit in a stock 14" S/S wheel will look tiny when a 17" rim is installed. I join the chorus in staying away from 17" wheels on these cars, just looks out of balance/proportion.

• If you really want big brakes and 17" wheels - check out http://www.mustangsteve.com.

He makes nice brackets to put 13" Cobra brakes on your stock Mustang spindles. Then you want to talk to him about cutting down two '94-'04 Mustang 5 spoke rims for the front. Or you need to talk to Mustang's Unlimited about one of their aftermarket 5 spoke 17" wheel packages (2 17x7" for front - 2 17x8" for rear). They have a set sitting on the showroom floor in Georgia right now - wheels and tires for $900.

With the 13" Cobra front discs you keep the standard track width, turning radius, and don't even have to re-align the car to do the swap. The issue is with the wide later model rim - 17x8 won't FIT on the front without looking weird - really really weird - because you have to use a 1" spacer to clear. 17x7 will clear the suspension and look correct in the wheel well without the spacer. So you either have to use a 17x7" rim or have the later Mustang 17x8" rim cut down in the back and re-welded together - there are a number of wheel shops that do this but it is a little expensive - necessary however to get the wheels to look right - otherwise the rims stick out WAY too far and you look like an old dirt track car!

Mustang Monthly had Steve's '66 Fastback featured last year with his brake and wheel mods - I LIKE IT! You be the judge.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicl…g_gt/index.html

I hope this helps.

Edited by - RalphJr on 01/06/2011 17:39:38

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!