• My 65 K code is running far too rich, as evidenced by the exhaust smell and carbon on exhaust tips. Plugs on right bank are a bit black, left side OK. My mechanic suspects jets might be wrong and power valve diaphram is probably broken and wants to rebuild carb. Carb is a Holley with electric choke, model number unknown (list number rubbed out) and manifold is an aluminum hi-rise.

Since carb model is unknown, I don't know what rebuild kit to buy.

--Is there any type of "universal kit" available?

--If another carbuerator becomes necesary, what carb with an electric choke would be recommended?

Walter

• Holley problems are usually repairable on the car. Does your manifold have an open plenum or is it a dual plane manifold? If it is a dual plane manifold the division in good to bad plug readings will not be side to side of the engine but rather staggered based on the planes of the manifold. Power valves are a major issue with Holley carbs and are easily replaced without pulling the carburetor. An 85 Holley power valve is usually available from local parts houses and you will only need one as most Holley carbs like the one that you are describing do not use one in the secondary side. The only other things that you will need are bowl gaskets and metering plate gaskets. Your carburetor probably has a transfer tube and you may need an "O" ring for that. I keep all of this stuff in stock for my own cars that have Holleys so to me this is all normal issues. Best of luck on this.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks Fred. I'm not sure I have a single or dual plane manifold, but my mechanic will know. I'll pass on your info and hope we can find the parts. Thanks again for your help.

• Thanks for the offer Bryan. I'm in Savnnah. Fred, I believe will be able to get me the part numbers and my mechanic should be able to install them. Thanks for the offer though!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!