Exhaust manifold

• My left side exhaust manifold rubs up against the side of the engine compartment and the space between the exhaust and clutch linkage is very minimal. Does anyone have this problem?

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/30/2009 23:05:16

• Thanks for the tip, caspian65. My motor mounts don't look like the ones shown in Tony Gregory's book. I'm afriad what might have happened is this:

My car has an aftermarket Hi Rise manifold. I'm guessing that one of the previous owner's replaced the original engine mounts to lower the engine, giving him clearance for the manifold.

Before I consider looking for original style engine mounts to replace the existing ones, I'll need to measure the clearance between the hood and air cleaner. Presumablely, I'll need another 1/2" to an inch.

If there's not enough additional available clearance, I'll have to relace the Hi rise with a stock manifold or just leave everything alone. Surprisingly, it doesn't rattle or vibrate now, even with the exhaust manifold touching the side of engine compartment.

Am I on the right track?

walter

• Are you using the correct HiPo air cleaner? If so, all should fit with the high rise (assuming it's not too radical), but you probably won't be able to use a carb spacer.

• I'm glad to know hood clearance should be OK with Hi Rise manifold. My air cleaner is correct. I was only speculating there might be a clearance problem that led to the change in motor mounts. After further inspection, the situation has become more puzzling.

The exhaust manifold is not only laying on top of left motor mount, but the boss on the side of it rubs the side on the engine compatment (shock tower, I believe). Raising the engine up a bit would fix that situation, but here's the kicker: The clutch equalizer bar is so close to the exhaust pipe (a few inches behind manifold), that raising it up at all, would cause it to rub the exhaust. It looks like the clutch equalizer bar might need to be removed and bent at the lower "S" section. From looking at the clutch equalizer bars shown in Tony's HiPo registry, it looks like I do have the correct clutch equalizer bar. Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't realize I wqs getting into such a project when I bought the car. Guess I should have known better.

Walter

• I didn't realize original style motor mounts were so difficult to find. So as to not dupicate posts, please read my "Motor Mount" post under K Specific parts.

Thanks,

Walter

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!