I've got a leak

• Help. I've got a leak under my dash behind the instrument cluster and on the other side behind the glove box. I've never had this area apart before, but it looks like the dash panel has support brackets that hook over the edge of the lower cowel panel and it leaks at each bracket attachment. See pic of example behind cluster: http://s461.photobucket.com/albums/qq338/j0ns_photobucket/?action=view¤t=100_0930_rev1.jpg According to the previous owner, the lower cowel panel was replaced years ago. Less than 5k miles on the car since, and always garaged, so if the panel was replaced it should still be good. I can spray lots of water into cowel vent and no leak. Only leaks when water sprayed over bracket attach points - inboard of wiper rotors. Anyone seen this before? Any idea how to repair?

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 11/21/2008 00:21:05

• That looks like a potential windshield weatherstrip leak. I have seen a few of these as windshields are tough to seal sometimes.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I thought the same, so i taped over the windshield trim and repeated the test. It still leaked. It seems to only leak when sufficient water is sprayed into the penetration for the windshield wiper rotor. However, as you can see in the photo linked above, the wiper rotor attach point behind the cluster is sound and dry.

Edited by - jon on 11/21/2008 00:18:30

Edited by - jon on 11/21/2008 00:21:57

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!