AMP Gauge BOUNCING AROUND-NEED HELP!!!

• Hi, just finished restoring my 66 Mustang convertible and seem to be having trouble.

The AMP GAUGE is bouncing around and going crazy while I drive. I replaced the Voltage regulartor with the restoration and the alternator is rebuilt.

Could it be a ground issue with the regulator? Would the gauge be bad? It worked find before the restoration.

If somebody could help, please let me know. Email at wallaceandkaren@yahoo.com

Thanks, WC

• Wallace, my repro regulator does the same thing. I temporarily put in my old electronic replacement and the problem went away. Now that NPD sells just the regulator cover I'm going to put together my own. This is one piece that AMK sells that is absolute junk.

• I had the same experiemce as Merlyn with an AMK regulator. Installed a new Motorcraft solid state one and the gauges are rock steady. Drill out the rivets and screw on the AMK cover and it will look almost OE.

Dave
    6S1757

• Re: Reproduction Voltage Regulator

f.y.i....I recently installed a reproduction assembly on my car and the amp gauge needle jerked around and swung wildly. Yes, I had good metal to metal contact points for ground. After some investigation I found that the male spade connectors on the replacement part were made of thinner gauge metal than all the 1960s ones I had around here. I could shake the assembly and the wiring plug would fall off. On the part made in 1964 I removed for replacement the spade terminals fit well and required significant effort to remove or install the plug.

There was nothing I could do about the metal gauge of the terminals but I could take some small pliers and put a very slight twist in each lug. That fix made the effort to install the plug similar to the 1964 part.

I just got back from a 150+ mile ride this morning. The amp gauge needle no longer jumped around.

Dan

• Very good research Dan.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!