• This question goes along with my posting about cleaning/polishing of the gas tank-see below:

Mt Kar received a gas tank stencil during restoration which, believe it or not had a word mis-spelled and an incorrect date for my Kar's build date.

I got a correct stencil from Charles many months ago and am now, after getting the tank nice and clean going to try & apply it.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to do this and possibly give me some pointers as to what type of paint to use and how to apply it, and possibly where to correctly place it on the bottom of the tank?

The incorrect one WAS on the passengers side of the tank towards the front, was very straight, and very clear, I wouldn't have thought that an original stamping would have been "THAT" clear or straight as it is my understanding that the U S Steel people stamped the steel BEFORE it was made into the gas tanks.

• the Republic Steel Stencil would be the correct one for your car. US Steel wasn't a supplier to ford until 1967 from internal documents that exist at the benson ford

use some wax and grease remover and then some black basecoat on a sponge or paper if 67 and later for us steel stencil and blue on republic steel. Also mis spelled words don't really matter as the ink stampings were never great. and stampings were half done below is an original 65 gas tank notice the stamping is missing words example of the correct republic steel stencil this stencil just doesn't appear on gas tanks also appears on original sheet metal if you chemicaly strip the cars as well

[Blocked Image: http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee378/66gtcoupe/mini-100_0608.jpg]

Edited by - bigal on 12/27/2010 19:06:53

Edited by - bigal on 12/27/2010 19:09:02

Edited by - bigal on 12/27/2010 19:12:36

• I had offered to share a copy of my new stencil with Brian Roberts (sorry, I forgot your user name) and your Email doesn't seem to work.

Please send me a pm or something and I'll send it your way.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!