Console Glove Box Flocking -

• Flocking the glove box –

Over time, the console glove box gets a lot of scratches, dings and whatever. Here’s what I did to make it look better.

Materials:

- Black flocking can be obtained from http://www.detailmaster.com under part number “DM 1609 Velour Flocking – Black”, about $4.00 each. You will need three packages. I also got a pack of blue (for contrast) to practice “flocking” on a 6 X 6 X 10 inch cardboard box. The instructions say don’t breathe or eat the flocking.

- Glove box paint and flocking adhesive: Use non-spray flat black paint instead of an adhesive and paint. I used Rust-Oleum Flat Black (bird in hand). Don’t bother to touch up minor scratches as the combination of the paint and flocking should cover all but the largest.

- Three paint brushes, a 1 1/2 inch wide for painting, a 1/4 to 1/2 inch to get into tight corners, a 1 1/2 inch to brush excess flocking when dry.

- Masking tape.

- A lot of newspapers.

- Scraper.

- Sandpaper, 100 to 120 grit.

- A turkey baster, or some other type of device that can “distribute” the flocking with light puffs of air.

Procedure:

1. Remove everything from the console shell.

2. Clean the shell and repair any portions that need attention.

3. Scrape and sand the glove box interior and rear (at the firewall end) glove box removable end panel. Remove any old flocking build up especially from the inside corners.

4. Paint the shell. Several light coats as always.

5. When the paint is dry, mask the exposed edges at the glove box. Murphy’s law dictates you will have to do some touch up painting, especially on a white shell. Do not forget to mask the screw holes and slots in the glove box from opposite side. The paint accumulation will fill the screw thread holes, which is probably needed.

6. Spread newspapers all over, including a couple of pages on the floor. Make sure the newspaper on the floor is clean and remains that way.

7. Start with the floor of the glove box first.

8. Paint the surface with the wide brush and use the small brush to spread the paint in tight areas.

9. Sprinkle the flocking. It may be packed in its container tightly so take care. Sprinkle the majority at the door end. Turn the shell to the sides and glove box end up to spread the flocking. Use the baster to further spread flocking with light puffs, then orient the shell glove box down on the paper on the floor to spread flocking to the far edge and to remove any excess.

10. Check for coverage and use the excess to cover. Do not apply additional paint. Shake the excess flocking back on the paper on the floor and save.

11. Let dry over night. Clean the painting brushes.

12. Brush the dry surface with the clean wide brush. Save the excess.

13. Do either the right or left inside surface next repeating steps 8 thru 12 using a new package of flocking. Save the excess.

14. Do the other inside surface repeating steps 8 thru 12 using a new package of flocking. Save the excess. You do not need to do the upper inside surface.

15. Using the excess flocking, mask, paint and apply the flocking to the removable glove box end panel. Before applying the flocking, make sure that it’s clean.

16. When dry, brush all flocked surfaces one more time.

17. Mask glove box if necessary and touch up the exterior.

18. Reassemble console.

Jim

PS - I'm at step 15.

• There was an approach that recomended painting the console's glove box surface first with the color of the flocking, then applying the glue and then sprinkle the flocking. The instructions that come with the flocking recomend painting the final color then sprinkling the flocking over the wet paint, no glue or other adhesive were necessary. I consider that method to be more efficient, and eliminating a material and one step fits the bill. I did practice on a cardboard box to simulate the tight area of the glove box first and it worked. I'm going to finish up the glove box today but everything appears to be fine.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!