E-coated parts

• The recent discussion about early Mustang parts being e-coated got me to think about a list of items that may or may not have been e-coated. After inspecting a few parts, it is obvious that the covering could not have been done as well with a spray gun. For instance, the parking brake handle chassis most definitely had to be e-coated. Anyway, here is a list of things I thought of. If you have any of these original parts around, try cleaning them off and inspecting for paint runs. If there are no runs and there is consistent covering, then it was probably e-coat. Also, it's important to note that service replacement parts may not be a good indicator of what was done on the assembly line parts, so I would recommend only referencing original parts. Let's start with the 65-66 stuff first:

-Bumper brackets

-Battery tray and clamp

-Shock tower to firewall braces

-Hood latch support

-Hood latch plate

-Wiper bag bracket

-Front brake hose to body brackets

-Shock caps

-Spare wheel hold-down

-Coil bracket

-Headlight buckets

-Parking brake handle chassis

-Splash shields?

-Coil spring covers?

-Power top motor to body bracket

-Convertible top frame components?

-Window regulator components that were black

-Rear quarter glass lower L-bracket

-Rear brackets for fastback trim

-Wiper motor bracket (some were left natural)

-Transmission cross member (some were left natural)

-Seat tracks (some were phosphate)

-Fastback roof vent baffles

-Disc brake

Edited by - caspian65 on 05/05/2009 17:35:53

• I was told that the convertible top frame WAS originally E-coated and mine was re-E-coated during the restoration....(July 1965 Dearborn car)

• the buckeye boys have been using PPG power cron 8000 e-coat with a 10 stage pretreatment with zinc phos for years and every thing coated looks great and its a 60 gloss finish that looks great on a car plus the coating is super tough wont nick scrath or come off as the e-coat is used daily for OEM supliers

• What kind of prep-work is necessary to do e-coat? Most of the parts I listed above usually have a shiny silver coating after you strip off the black, which I'm guessing is a zinc coat as a base. How does one address rust pits in the parts?

• OK, I will show my lack of knowledge! Just exactly what is a 60 gloss finish? Please help me understand about the color and/or sheen of the E-coat black finish.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

OK, I will show my lack of knowledge! Just exactly what is a 60 gloss finish? Please help me understand about the color and/or sheen of the E-coat black finish.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Go look at the bolted on parts(brackets etc.)that are painted black on your every day late model car, those black painted parts are most likely eCoated.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

e-coat will coat over any conductive substrait 60 gloss is sheen as you would want your motor bay to look like

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Same as saying 30-40% flattened, right?

Go look at the bolted on parts(brackets etc.)that are painted black on your every day late model car, those black painted parts are most likely eCoated.

Any chance of verifying the spec. finish on some of these parts using Ford docs? I could probably find most of the engineering numbers without too much trouble.

What kind of prep-work is necessary to do e-coat? Most of the parts I listed above usually have a shiny silver coating after you strip off the black, which I'm guessing is a zinc coat as a base. How does one address rust pits in the parts?

ecoat dont fill in pits as the film build is 1 mill but gives a great base to use high build primer then top coat the buckeye boys use high temp bake top coats BASF and PPG products that are OEM approved if you could see the coated parts on there show cars you can tell these are OEM coatings

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Any chance of verifying the spec. finish on some of these parts using Ford docs? I could probably find most of the engineering numbers without too much trouble.

if you could get a hold of BRIAN from buckeye iam sure he could give you all the specs from today back to the 50ths as that is job he deals in the

OEM coatings and runs the most up to date system in north east ohio the only one with PPG frame coati have seem this guy dip 57 chevys gtos gxts people from all over go to him to have him e coat whole cars and parts him and nate are very good buds

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!