Preventing Rust

• Depending on the part I have found that a product called "Kramer's Best Antique Restorer" works great. This stuff is not cheap but if it saves and expensive "K" part it well worth the money. I have used it on cast iron parts such as transmissions,disc brake calipers, clutch rods etc. I glass bead the part then wipe on the Kramers. This product does two things one it soaks into to pores of the metal and gives the part the appearance of being newly cast just like the original. You may have to do several applications but unlike paint it won't flake or discolor. Try this web site for more information http://www.kramerize.com/products.htm

This product was originally developed to help restore antique cast iron toys and furniture. Good luck hope this helps

• I forgot to mention in my last post that this product works well on a variety of metals, not just cast iron. It even does wonders on antique wood (if you happen to into antique furniture). Once you apply the product and it has dried, buff the part with a clean rag and you will be amazed at the shine;

• What makes it better than cheap old WD40? The thing I haven't liked about most produncts that I apply to prevent rust is that they all seem to attract dust.

Edited by - shelbyluva on 03/22/2009 13:50:39

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!