Correct Grill Color?

• Hello All:

I have a 1965 GT Fasback, non K. On a recent roadtrip via Route 66, the support for my fog lamps was broken. I purchased a replacement grill and it came black out of the box. Should the grill be a blue-gray color instead? If so, what is the correct paint spec?

thanks!

mwm

• From what I understand most of the Mustang suppliers have the correct color of grill paint for the '65 grills-I don't know if they have it in spray cans or by the pint or quart for use with a spray gun. I had thought at one time that the grills came in the proper color but was told otherwise.

• That is asinine, you pay good money for a replacement part and it is completely the wrong color. What is it with some of these vendors/manufacturers?

• 1965 grille is a blue color and most junk you buy you have to paint or modify.Nobody has much morals anymore all they want is your MONEY!

• 66KGT & RPM This is exactly my point!! What is up with all the crap reproduction parts on the market?? I had the same problem with the fuel pump canister for my '65 K engine (a 3939S pump) NPD does not even carry a correct piece, I have to wonder why this is with their size and all.....I had to end up getting mine from New England Mustang supply and having to paint it white from the red it came in then apply a decal to it myself!

• Does the cannister that you bought from New England Mustang have the double row of ribbing on the bottom or is it a hex or three indentations?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I ran into this same problem. I had my original to compare it to. So I fist used the power steering pump blue spray bomb (the one from Johns Mustang). IT was too light but did a good job for a base coat. Next I darkened it up with the 65 grill color (Omni Park brand)however it was way to blue. I got some Rust Oleum industral gray and misted it over the grill to gray it up. (held can 12 inches away and went over it fast) It worked wonderfuly. Took 2 passes to get it where i liked it. Is it 100%? No, but it is above 95% and considering color batch varations, original faded over 40 years ect...close enough. I taped up the tabs and brace supports as they are black.

Edited by - 5F09C on 10/16/2008 09:46:29

Edited by - 5F09C on 10/16/2008 14:38:48

• Fred, The cannister I got from New England Mustang supply (in RED, when I bought it)is the correct double crimp design, looks like my original, I painted in with 1965 Mustang INTERIOR paint (at Charles suggestion) and applied the decal with RED lettering.

BTW.....How are the fuel pumps coming??

• Update:

I have tried several sources to purchase the correct paint, including Scott Drake to no avail. When I get someone on the phone to test spray the paint, they all agree it is no where close to the correct color. Mind you, I have also have tried mixing paint, but that was a mess. Sooooo, does anyone have an old can for sale???? Please?

thank-you,

mwm

haverstead@yahoo.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!