third member overhaul

• I have dropped the rear end to overhaul the leaf springs and differential, and do all the attendant detailing. In order to get all of the seals and small parts for the third member I found it was easier to by a kit that contained all the bearings and seals. Questions is, does it make sense to change all of the bearings in the third member while it's out? There are no problems with noise or clunking and it is a an open rear end, not a locker. I suppose it's a question of inspecting what's there and looking at the wear pattern on the ring gear then making a judgement call.

• Dave,

If you seldom drive the kar and the rear end is quiet, I would leave it alone with the exception of the seal. It is tough to duplicate the factory setup exactly after changing the bearings to preclude noise issues. The ring and pinion pattern can be more critical than you might think. It is kind of like trying to paint a panel on your kar to match faded paint. The pinion bearings are the typical bearings to fail and they can be replaced without removing the rear end if they should fail at a later time. However, this is just my personal opinion. If you need any guidance, just give me a call.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred,

Thanks for the advice. All of my third member experience has been limited to the installation of new ring & pinion sets during complete overhaul; this is a different ball game. I was worried about the idea of trying to get it right after taking it apart and not having noise afterwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!