Rebuild Stock Proportioning Valve

• Hello,

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding a stock disk brake proportioning valve? I see the rebuild kits are available. Mine is leaking slightly where the black rubber band is. I can't find any diagrams on this valves parts.

Thanks,

Chuck

• The disc brake proportioning valves are rebuildable in most cases. I did mine. You must make sure that the kit you get is correct for you valve. There is an early and late proportioning valve. If I remember correctly I ordered a kit for a late valve and got one for an early valve which was incorrect. On the reorder I got the correct kit. Instructions for rebuild are in the kit. You'll have to reuse one component from the old unit.

• I sent one to White Post Restorations of VA back in 2001. Cost was over $150. They did a nice job, but it sounds like Power Brake Exchange is more affordable.

• Here is the link to Randy Meyer's web site:

http://www.stangerssite.com/

Mark Frappier is the machinist that does the stainless steel sleeving of the valves. He will also install the o-rings for you. The parts that are re-used include the aluminum piston components, the dampening spring, the bumper stop, the cast iron body and the threaded end cap. The only parts that are replaced are the o-rings.

The rubber band that goes around the body of the valve is there to keep dirt out of the vent hole, and will be the most obvious leak. Without launching the old brake fluid debate of DOT 5 silicone vs DOT 3 regular; Frappier recommends that the brake system be refilled with DOT 3 brake fluid instead of silicone because of viscosity, and because the components were designed for it. I used DOT 3 and haven't had a problem.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!