should I attempt body paint???

• The previous paint job on my car looks great, but the details are crap. For example, they painted over the top fender bolts body color with the rest of the fender. Imagine what happened when I removed the fender bolts for replacement.

Yep, cracked and chipped paint and some rust around the bolt hole areas that will not be covered up by the new bolts. I have some single stage enamel mixed the proper color and am going back and forth whether to tackle this myself. I have never done body work before, but I figured one of those PREVAL sprayers might work OK for small jobs like the seam sealer area on the lower cowl that needs to be worked over. That's easy enough b/c the surface isn't silky smooth.

How should I approach the fender bolt areas? I could use a brush and dop on the problem areas like touch up paint, but I think it would look like crap and not hold up well. Do you think I can simply scuff up the paint area, and spray the low spots with high build primer until I can sand it smooth? I don't want a sharp tape line since the rest of the paint is very good. Perhaps I can roll a small dowel with tape and jamb it into the inner angle/bend of the fender to get a fade of some sort -

Any tips?

• You can paint just the area where the fenders bolts are, run a tape line along the top edge (back tape for the easiest edge to cut down). Of course, you'll probably get a mis-match in color though. Might want to check with your favorite local body shop and get their opinion.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!