Manifold bolts and coatings

• I pulled the exhuast manifolds the other day and they desperately need some attention. Was going to drop off at the sandblasters, but then I'm wondering what to do with them. Are any of the DIY coatings any good? The car is always garaged and rarely wet. High temp variations in the garage here in MN as it's unheated. I'd rather only do this once in the next 10 years.

I was also wondering about the fasteners. My car is a very late '66 and it currently had the locks installed between the bolts like the early style. Should my car have the ramplock bolts without the locks? Do they work as well? I also would be interested in a Stainless Steel solution (I'm using all the SS fasteners that I can under the hood as it's a driver and not a judged show car). I noticed that VA Mustang has a SS bolt set with locking washers as well as a version that uses the buddy locks. Any reason why I shouldn't use the SS bolts with the lock washers from VA Mustang. The AMK website also lists some but they are for use with buddy type locks and are nearly twice the price.

• There's a guy here locally that will blast and do an epoxy coating on a pair of exhaust manifolds for about $160. I've had a couple sets done, looks very nice. He cures them at 800F.

Your car should have the ramp-loc bolts. Only the first couple months of production in '66 had the '65 style locks. You could probably get the bolts epoxy coated also, or just use stainless.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!