• The road draft tube / PCV Valve thing brings back a lot of memories. In the mid 1960's, one of the first "emission" laws the state of California passed mandated PCV Valves. At that time, we wanted nothing to do with them. As far as we were concerned, they were:

A) A giant Vacuum leak

A source of oil contaminated air being sucked back into the engine.

The general consensus was “Who wants to suck that dirty oil back into the engine?”

Back then, guys who bought cars that had PCV Valves took them off and installed road draft tubes and vented oil caps. What we didn't know at the time was the closed crankcase system would extend the life of an engine over the Road draft tube system because dirty, “road draft” air was not being sucked in to the engine during deceleration to contaminate the oil. What we ddin't know was PCV valves did way more good than harm.

Since the Shelby's were produced in California, it was always assumed that they all had PCV valves. I talked to a guy who has a 65 GT-350 that is earlier than mine. It was originally sold in Arizona and has a road draft tube on the right valve cover. I asked him about this, he says it's factory and there is another 65 originally sold in Arizona that has the same setup.

Live and learn.

• Hi Bill,

Sorry, but I am a bit skeptical about road

draft tubes on 65 Shelbys. The reason why,

is how would the Ford factory at San Jose

know to which dealers the finalized Shelbys

were to be delivered. The only way would be orders

from dealers prior to production in San Jose

and that's contradicted by the left over 65's

at the end of the production year.

What does SAAC say about this, anybody know.

/Bo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Ok thats great. What is your date code on the intake? I don't care when the engine was built. All I'am saying is check the date code and it will confirm everything.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Well, I <i>finally</i> had a chance to take the car out today. Although I know beyond any doubt the engine is original and correct for my car, I double checked some things under the hood just to make it "official". The intake is dated 5B10. As I mentioned previously, the engine was assembled 5B15, and the carburetor is a C5OF-L, dated 5BB. <i>A carburetor tagged C5OF-L is listed as correct for use with a road draft tube</i>. A classic case of "numbers matching"...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!