• Hi guys,

I don't know much about big block Mustangs, but I have the opportunity to get my hands on a 71 Boss 351 which looks to be in very nice shape. I understand these are pretty rare, just how desirable are they ? I am not such a fan of the shape but this seems like a true piece of American automotive history. What are they worth ?

Thanks.

• I had one years ago, and when they are in proper tune, they run like a scalded dog. I think it was a toss up between the 68 1/2 CJ mustang and the 71 Boss 351 as to the fastest stock production 1/4 mile times. In the last year or so prices for them have really taken off, trailing the Boss 302 cars, and the really nice clean low mileage cars are in the $40k-$50k range. What are they asking for it?

• They want 35k euros for it, thats about 45k US, your price was bang on. I have seen a few pics, it looks real nice. As I said I am not too well versed in these later models, but it does look like it has been well taken care of.

Also there is this 69 R code on the big auction site item # 170073096515 which is located here in Lausanne, Switzerland. Is this a rare find ?

• If the car is nice it is worth the money, BUT.......do your homework. Check the for the really hard to find parts such as the Carb, Dist, and intake. Those parts alone go for over $4,500us. If all the original parts are there and the car is pretty clean with little or no rust, then buy it.

• Ditto on checking for all the correct/special Boss 351 parts, just like the K cars, missing specific parts get pricy in a hurry.

The 69 Mach I R code car looks pretty clean. I don't see the carb/ram air setup, does it come with the ram air hood? An original ram air setup for these cars can push $1.5k+ Is the engine is the original vin stamped motor (vin # stamped on top back drivers side of block, I think)? The engine will probably need to be gone through having not run in that long.The interior trim pieces aren't that hard to come by.

The car is already at $23k+. If it were here in the states the car would probably get to the mid-high $20k's. Then you add another $15k (modestly estimated) for the restoration costs, and you're up in the range where you could buy one already restored.

The big block Mach's like the GT500 Shelby's were fun cars in a straight line, but real nose heavy & they don't slide around corners like a small block would.

I would see if you can negotiate the price down on the Boss car. Those really are fun cars, lots of giddiup, and they handle corners pretty well.

Edited by - 66tiger on 01/26/2007 16:21:55

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!