4100 secondary activation

• is the progressive mechanical secondary kit the only way to upgrade? was/is there a spring change to bring them in earlier but still stay vacuum? since I changed the rear gears, the RPM's climb slower, thus it seems like it takes longer for them to open. I think the mechanical kit would be better, but just checking options. any testimonials would be welcome. Bill

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 08/22/2009 23:14:17

• My Koupe has had the mechanical conversion since new, works very nice, you can feel the tip in point and control use of them. The only issue (if you want to call it one) is that they come in quite abruptly and can break the tires loose:) Tip in point can be adjusted from about half throttle to about 3/4 throttle.

[Blocked Image: http://i40.tinypic.com/1588q6s.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i41.tinypic.com/f0oswp.jpg]

Edited by - Mu5tanggt on 08/18/2009 10:25:34

• I'm looking at your picture and reading your older post that showed the install instructions. It seems that the roll pin is what pushes the secondary lever open and the vacuum rod is just along for the ride? What closes the secondaries? Do you have the washers installed? I don't understand what they do, but from the picture in Mustangs Unlimited, the repop they have doesn't show the washers as part of the kit.

Back in the 70's, we just tied the levers together with some wire, I didn't know about this kit. Was that a $1.50 price stamp?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am curious where I might buy this type of conversion kit

Thanks

Steve

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I have a new one for sale...........$25.00 to your door.

• Washers are to break vacuum @ diaphram, right now it just has an old diaphram with a small hole drilled in it looks cleaner this way. The spring in the diaphram pushes the secondaries closed. the rod from the diaphram is still connected to the secondary lever and also acts as a pivot point to engage roll pin on secodary lever. Hard to decribe the action without seeing it work, quite ingenious. Yup cost a $1.50 new in 1966.

Edited by - Mu5tanggt on 08/19/2009 19:37:34

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!