Alternator wiring

• Hi Everyone,

I have 2 white wires on the back of my 67's alternator. 1 is attached to the FLD post, the other is attached to the post at the very bottom (on its own)

Question is - how can I tell that the correct white wire is attached to the correct post?

Thanks

• Thanks. Will track back.

Currently have issues with the Alternator not charging. Have had the alternator checked by a sparky - all good, I changed the regulator (AMK version) just in case it was playing up (looked like it had moisture inside), but still not charging.

I read somewhere to make sure that those 2 white wires were on the right post as that could be the problem?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

• If you look closer at the two white wires you should see a black stripe on one, the other should be all white with no stripe , the all white wire is the field circuit wire and connects to the terminal marked FLD on the alternator next to the large battery 12 volt terminal, the white with black stripe wire is the stator circuit wire and connects to the terminal marked STA , i would check for an open in the field circuit wire with the field wire disconnected from the back of the alternator and the voltage regulator with an ohm meter ignition switch off you should have continuity ,and check for battery voltage of 12.5 volts with a volt meter at the bat terminal of the alternator with the ignition off, sounds like an open or corroded wire on your cars wire harness.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!