Brake Lights not working

• Hi Everyone

Another electrical drama

The brake lights on my Kar dont work. At one stage one was working now neither work. .

Does it sound like the brake light switch? (There is power getting to the striped wire that attaches to the switch)

Also, where is the ground wire for the brake light so I can check its connection.

Thanks

Rohan

• Rohan

Did you check your bulbs? The ground is in the trunk by the filler neck. Unplug connector at your brake light switch and take a wire and jumper it if your lights work the switch is bad. Check your ground it could be the turn signal switch also.

Mike

• Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply.

I Forgot to add that all of the other lights are working - tail lights and indicators. Only brake lights dont work. Now i know where the ground wire is I'll check to see if there is a poor earth, then might take the brake light switch off my other car to see if its switch is faulty.

Rohan

• I have had the same problem on both my 65 and 67

and both times it was the brake light switch.

Easy and cheap to change if you are a slim, short

120-140 pound guy and not like me, 6'2", 220 pounds

and stiff as a rock. Finally got them replaced

and working with some week long pain as the price

to pay.

/Bo

• Hi guys

Found the problem after racking my brain...

A short in the horn would you believe? I noticed the last time I drove the Kar that the horn "beeped" when turning the wheel - at times. I got a copy of the 66 schematics and noticed that the horn gets its power source from the same location as the brake lights (located on the same power source on the light switch). Here is the link to the schematics

http://midlife66.com/wiring/66exter1.jpg

What a pain in the @rse.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!