• Sometime in the future I am going to have to replace the windshield on two of my cars. I have two friends faced with the same replacement. There seems to be no problem with glass suppliers putting the correct markings on the windshield but one potential problem has surfaced. I don't know of the validity of this but the report is that because of federal regulations and/or new manufacturing techniques, the new glass is thinner than the original. Has anyone found this to be true? If so, how much thinner? Does it make a difference as in sealing?

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Sometime in the future I am going to have to replace the windshield on two of my cars. I have two friends faced with the same replacement. There seems to be no problem with glass suppliers putting the correct markings on the windshield but one potential problem has surfaced. I don't know of the validity of this but the report is that because of federal regulations and/or new manufacturing techniques, the new glass is thinner than the original. Has anyone found this to be true? If so, how much thinner? Does it make a difference as in sealing?

Jim

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Jim,

We just put one in a '65 Convertible. The glass is probably a bit thinner, but it presents no problems. Sealing is a mess on any of them, but again, no problems.

• Thanks Brant. I guess the question is how much thinner. I measured my spare windshield (it looks like a March 72 replacement) and it's 0.256 in thick (right side and top measurements). Can anyone measure a current replacement?

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!