1966 HIPO HEADS NEAR PORTLAND

• Too far for me.

1966 mustang Hi Po K code heads

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
    Reply to: sale-588282716@craigslist.org

Date: 2008-02-27, 1:28PM PST

I have a pair of early date code 1966 hi po heads, they have the emissions holes that were used on cailfornia cars. They are orignal & would need to be gone thru. Not sure what to ask, so email me an offer.

• Official Post

There would not be an early date code 66 Hipo head setup for emissions so these most likely are standard heads.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Al:

How early is the date code? My car has the incorrect 289 (has a C code right now, but all else is correct. I'm trying to put the engine together piece by piece. I originally intended to do a Colorado title search and see if I could find the original engine, but our State, in it's infinite wisdom, has purged all records prior to 1995. I've owned the car since 1987, so they're no help.

Thanks,

.....................Tim

• Tim, Al is not the seller. He merely posted the Craigs list ad for us to see. You will need to contact the seller. The ad link is in the post. With an early 66 date code they will not be Hipo heads.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Okay,Fred, thanks. But if you could enlighten me, why can't they be hi-po heads if the build date is early 1966? Does that mean my car would have to have an engine and heads with 1965 codes to be correct? Since we're just starting this project I want to make sure I get it right. The car does have the correct steering box, fog light switch and the holes in the radiator support to make it a GT, and the top loader and rear end are correct as is the master cylinder for the disc brakes, but now I'm confused about the engine codes.

Thanks,

.........................Tim

• Tim, There is probably nothing wrong with your engine codes. The only reason that the Portland heads could not be Hipo heads is because they were stated as being an early 66 date code and having emission holes. The 66 model Hipo never had emission holes. Only standard 289's could have emission holes in 66. 67 was the first Hipo heads that could have emission holes and from what I understand, only 14 California cars were built that way and then only late in the production year. There are certainly early 66 date code Hipo heads but those in Portland cannot be Hipo heads. 66 Hipo heads will have 66 date codes however they will have a 65 casting number. Do not let that confuse you though as Ford did use the same castings for more than one year on these.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks, Fred. I got it now. The Mustang is on its way to the body shop on Monday to start the body work. I pulled the engine and tranny yesterday so I can get started cleaning them up and making sure the transmission is okay. I'll rebuild the rear end as soon as the body shop guys get it out of the car.

Later,

........................Tim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!