hipo manual choke

• I wasn't aware they were making these. Mine are US made, copied exactly from a Hipo carb. My kit also includes all the pieces including the choke flap lever which is different and exact copies of the plastic pieces that fit into which are different from standard 4100's

• Yes, Pictures would be helpful.

I simply can't believe that anyone that is familliar with Fords from the 60s and 70s doesn't know about Pony carbs by now, they have been reproducing the correct manual choke pieces for the HIPO 4100 for years now-they also produce a real nice "clone" if you will of the HIPO 4100 in house. http://www.ponycarburetors.com

Edited by - 6hypo5conv on 06/01/2009 05:20:27

• You've got a point there! but to me this opens up doors to folks buying these parts and attempting to make their own version of the 4100 HIPO-like the fellow who once worked for Pony but stayed behind in New York and made a few and most that I have heard had problems and the customer service wasn't great....

• When I called Pony a year or so ago they would not sell me their choke parts unless I sent in my working carb for a $500 rebuild. I ended up useing parts off a 69 truck 2100. Works like a charm.

Glad to see someone reproduce this as a kit for the Do-it-yourself person.

• I just got one of these. No instructions but overall nice pieces, The vertical choke rod is not exact and I'm not sure how you would replace the part that attaches to the choke flap shaft without special tools. I also wasn't able to order any HP choke parts from Pony Carbs without a core.

Oh yeah and the choke clamp bracket screws are a little to long

Edited by - 66FBKGT on 06/01/2009 15:48:35

• <hr class="bbcode_rule" />
    I didn't put in instructions as there are only a couple of screws to remove and put the choke pieces in the same place. As for the rod it is an exact copy of the one from my hipo carb. There may have been a couple of suppliers as there were for many parts. I have seen a rod that uses a clip like the one I sell and a rod where the stop area is sort of squished out for support. The holes that need to be filled are the vacuum holes that go to the automatic choke. Last when it comes to the flap lever this can be the most difficult.It is a soft brass that is peened over that holds on the lever. All I did was carefully wiggle the existing off and set the new lever in place. I then used a small ball peen hammer and tapped the bent brass back over. I hope this answres all your concerns. Also I have heard of pony carbs, went to there website and they do not sell the pieces seperately.

• Acording to what I have heard Jon Enyeart (sp) of Pony say many times is that while the choke pieces from the truck 2100s may work to convert a 4100 it will not be correct looking enough to "pass" for an original, I bought a "clone" (and I absolutely hate the word CLONE) from Jon, and it is an absolutely beutiful piece, works well, looks perfect, and I am very satisfied with it so far, yes it was a little expensive but well worth it to me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!