• Are the hipo rocker arms identical to stock 289 rocker arms? I've seen the thread discussing replacement rockers but am interested in original rockers and any specifics pertaining to them. Also, how do you determine maximum wear on the rockers? Thanks for your input. Alex

• I just had my heads done and ended up needing to replace some of the rockers so I went ahead and replace them all.

The machine shop that I use assured me that they could get exact OEM replacement rockers.

They got me Clevite # 214-1029 (23-836) rockers and they look great, they are NOT 100% exactly like Fords, but I'd say like 97% the same.

They also had a listing for Seald Power rockers, again NOT 100% exactly the same as Ford's but again about 97% the same, the part # R-836 I do have a complete set of 16 factory original rockers in which about 8 have been determined to be in need of replacement if someone needs them.

The 289HP rockers ARE DIFFERENT than standard 289 rockers as outlined in Tony Gregory's book 4th edition on page#21

Edited by - 6hypo5conv on 04/09/2008 09:49:49

• Actually, 289 Hipo rockers are the same as standard rockers through 1965. The change to rail rockers for standard cars came in 1966 and the hipos still used the previous standard rockers without the rails.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!