• I know it's not winter yet, but I'm wondering:

I moved my car from sunny California to British Columbia this year. I've never had to put a car away for a cold winter and don't yet have the luxury of a heated garage, though I do have indoor storage. Are there any tips on how to prepare for cold storage as it can get to -25C where I'm living now.

• Hi Dave

It doesn't often get down to -25C here, but our winters are still a challenge for our classics.

Lots of things you can do to preserve your toy, but dry storage is essential as condensation is your worst enemy. With extreme temperatures you may want to look into a car capsule.

[Blocked Image: http://www.carcapsule.com/CarCapsule_Car_Cover_Images/Your_CarCapsule_Photos/Vehicle_Cover.jpg]

Better yet although pricier,the Airflow Airchamber

[Blocked Image: http://www.copperstaronline.com/images/orange2.jpg]

These will protect from moist and vermin, and also act as a buffer for temperature swings which create condensation.

At the least, if you have a concrete floor, put a sheet of plastic or a tarp under the car.

I have read all sorts of opinions on fluids. Some say it is a good idea to drain all fluids, some say good antifreeze is enough. One thing for sure, a full gas tank is better than an empty one. If you put a stabilizer in the fuel, run the engine a little while so it goes all the way into the carb.

Battery must be removed and stored in a warmer place if possible.

Lots of air in the tyres. Some jack the car up. I would use the suspension rather than the frame in that case.

Silicone spray on all rubber weather stripping and seals.

Lubricate hinges and latches on doors, hood and trunk.

Do not use parking brake.

Here is what springs to mind. Surely others will chime in with more.

• All good advice.

I would also use desiccants or a dehumidifier in the capsule. I use a dehumidifier in my garage; you would not believe the amount of water that gets removed. The result is really nice, simple things like the brake rotors to not get surface rust.

The idea of having a full tank of gas may come from the desire to remove air that can contain moisture. With current pump fuels you may be better off with a small amount of fuel during storage and getting the moisture out of the area the car is being stored in. Current pump gas starts turning very quickly. Also use a modern fuel additive that is formulated for fuel that contains methanol if you are using pump gas with methanol.

Once winter sets in the humidly becomes much less of a problem, but you still want to control moisture. You really do not want a full tank of old gas unless your plan is pump it out next spring. Even during the winter I like to start my cars once a month to keep the seals in good working order. You may not be able to do this in your location; here in VA we usually get a couple of days each month that are nice enough to start the car. I don’t go out of the drive way if salt has been put on the neighborhood roads.

• empty gas tank vs. full gas tank ?

if rust was not an issue, ie, if humidity can be greatly reduced, then I would opt for the empty gas tank. But under typical circumstances I would just add a can of stabile to a full gas tank and be done with it. Even with E-10 gas this approach has worked well for gas that sits all winter. I don't think it's necessary to toss (drain out) a tankful of treated gas once winter is over. Just drive it thru the system as soon as you can.

Z.

• So, We're back to gas again huh ZRay?? I agree with you about keeping a full tank.

I'm wondering about the new "Ethinol formula" (yellowish-clear) Sta-Bil verses the original Red colored stuff....I have not used the new stuff yet, is it more compatable with the present Ethinol fuels??

• I have stored my car for 14 winters with the gas tank full and red Sta Bil added. I have never has a bad fuel related problem. My total storage period is around 5 months and I do not start the car at all during this time. I do change the oil and filter prior to the put away, add an additional 5 lbs of air to the tires and store the battery in my celler hooked up to a battery tender. Clean the car and put on the car cover and the car has done just fine for the short term storage.

Jack

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!